When will be the new GeoIP (libloc) functionality online?

Hi Devs,

First of all it is a great Firewall!

I am waiting for a good moment to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.
I still think when the new GeoIP is available this would be a good moment.

Still having a firewall with 32 bit is not the savest setup.
So is this still a topic in the development or is it on hold cause of other more important issues?
Probably the code is ready but the database is still not available.
I am still wondering who will provide this information (Maxmind as said previously won’t) .

Thank you!

Hi,

I am waiting for a good moment to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

As discussed here, please do so now. There is no need to wait for one feature or another, as it won’t change the overall security situation when it comes to 32 bit.

I still think when the new GeoIP is available this would be a good moment.

This is not related to the 32 bit disaster.

So is this still a topic in the development or is it on hold cause of other more important issues?

Yes. Please refer to Bugzilla for further information.

I am still wondering who will provide this information (Maxmind as said previously won’t).

Those come from public RIR data and BGP information we are able to obtain.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi @pmueller ,

Thanks for the quick reply.
All arguments you give are true. I won’t argue with that. If I had a company I would never ask that question.

In my setup I am blocking out the whole world except one small country. I think that being unseen offers a security level higher than using 64 bit and the whole world easily knows that I am there. Please correct me if this is wrong.
Still I am writing this cause I would not want to wait another 6 months but definitely a few weeks.

I agree with Peter. From 32 to 64 now is good, yesterday was better. Wait for libloc is not a good idea.
Especially if your hardware i capable of managing 64bit code, it will unleash a lot of performance.

Hi,

just for the record: You might want to have a look at yesterdays telephone conference logs regarding libloc.

Peter Müller

2 Likes

Hi @pmueller ,

Thanks for the Link.
I really appreciate the comment!

Thanks you best regards,
Florom

Hi,

meanwhile, an online beta version of the libloc database is accessible at https://location.ipfire.org/.

Just thought you might want to know.

Peter Müller

Hi folks,

for the records (yesterdays telephone conference log): If nothing unforeseeable happens, Core Update 148 will introduce libloc and retire MaxMind GeoIP.

Peter Müller

3 Likes

Happy to have a deadline :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @pmueller ,

Thanks for the new location service.

I wrote in another post my impressions of upgrading. In short I am very positivly surprised.
It worked flawlessly!

1 Like

Hi,

first, thanks for the positive feedback. :slight_smile:

For the sake of completeness: The location database still suffers from some inaccuracies (filed as #12458). We are currently investigating on how to solve this issue without exhausting CPU resources.

Peter Müller