Red0 does not get IP address from ISP

I have been reading about power outages, race conditions, etc. And I’ve run a few diagnostics trying to figure this out. I do not get an IP address from my ISP (fiber optic “modem”) for red0.

I have tested the cable to the switch and that is good (the switch is good because everything else is getting an IP from the ISP).

Is there a command where one can force red0 to reload/fetch from DHCP an IP address?

You could try:

ifdown red0
ifup red0

Is there a limit on the number of devices that can connect directly to the ISP ?

1 Like

As far as I know there isn’t a limit by the ISP. But they could have changed that dynamically.

the ifdown and ifup are commands that I do not have.

These are fairly standard Linux commands. You are executing those from the root shell, having the # prompt ? Either via SSH or a directly connected keyboard and monitor.

If those don’t work, then a reinstall of IPFire is indicated.

1 Like

Yes, I am logged on as root. And this is mostly a fresh install of 2.27 update 127.

Are you certain that you have the sockets on the PC for red0 & green0 correctly identified ? Also try a different cat5 cable for red0.

Does the switch have indicator lights and do those indicate a connection for red0 ?

1 Like

Also, red0 defaults to static addressing, which your ISP might not provide. Did you change that to DHCP during installation ?

Yes, I set that up as DHCP. And I just finished a new install, for the other question about ifup/ifdown.

As for CAT5 cables: I have a cable tester. I have tested and swapped cables. So I know that the current cables are good because I stole them off of working systems (since they are now down until I get this installed and running).

Are you certain that the NIC for red0 is sound ? Old NIC have a fairly high failure rate.

I generally use the on mainboard NIC for red0, because USB NIC can fail to be recognised.

Just got the system up after a fresh install.
Does this mean anything significant? :

starting dhcpcd on red0 interface…
Error: ipv4: FIB table does not exist. / / [ERROR] << all in RED

New out of the box, dual port ethernet card. It had been working. So now that I have it pointed at the fiber optic modem, it should still work.

Probably, but not at a level that I understand. IPFire requires IPv4 for Internet. Does the ISP support only IPv6 ?

Indications are that the switch is not suitable. Can you bypass it and connect red0 directly to modem ?

1 Like

I have several IPFire boxes. When I want to change the active box, I have to power down the switch first. It appears that the FIB table in the switch gets confused.

Try:

• power down IPFire
  • then power down switch
  • power up switch
  • power up IPFire
1 Like

I had no idea that a switch had a table like that. But then, I don’t work on those things, I work on Mainframes and used to work on printers and the like, back in the day. It is no wonder that doing network stuff gives me a headache.

And to the other question that was asked about IPv6: This ISP allows IPv6, but they do not force it. I generally do not run anything IPv6 in my LAN. Not until I can finally digest all the RCFs for IPV6. And don’t hold your breath. It is only if I have to do IPv6 for product development again that I will start reading them.

This is a standard error message that everyone will see. It occurs because IPFire does not use the FIB table and since an update of both the kernel and iproute2 about a year ago an error message is shown if a default table is not present even if the reason it is not present is because it is not needed and therefore not created in the first place.

There is a previous thread about this
https://community.ipfire.org/t/error-ipv4-fib-tables-does-not-exist/6766

and a bug has been raised to try and see if the error message can be stopped but it appears that iproute2 would need to be re-written to stop it doing it and the iproute2 developers decided to close the issue without fixing it as they said that the error message is correct, that the FIB table does not exist
https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12763

This error message does not have anything to do with not getting an IP address from your ISP.

Wgat does the RED log show when the request for an IP is made. The log is in the menu Logs - System Logs and then select RED in the drop down box and then press the update button.

3 Likes

Quite informative, thanks.

OP has a switch on the red0, as do I effectively, with my modem in routing mode. I have no problems with that switch. I might be on a different ISP (iiNet). I get a single, public IP address from the ISP and red0 gets a private IP from my router.

I have a switch connected to green0, as would many users. That is the one that loses the plot when I change the upstream IPFire box.

RED0 is attempting to use DHCP (dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting)
DUID 00:04:25:12:ed:29:a6:…
red0: IAID 4c:38:49:25
red0: adding address fe80::2e0:4cff:fe38:4925
upv6_addaddr1: Permission denied
red0 carrier lost
timed out
dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
DUID 00:04:25:12:ed:… (same as above)
:
:
ipv6_addaddr1:Permission denied
timed out

It seem from the above that something is not right. I do not have the system set up for IPv6, at least not on purpose. Everything else going through the switch is using DHCP and getting IPv4 addresses from all that I’ve seen (2 windows laptops, 1 Linux desktop).

I’m going to redo setup and see if somehow red0 is set for IPv6.

I do not see how to set this when running “setup”. Hmmmm.

IPFire2.x is only set up for IPv4. It has no ability or code to deal with IPv6.
This message from the dhcpc package is just saying that it tried to add an IPv6 address and was not able to do that as IPFire does not recognise or deal with IPv6.

The issue is in the section

This is saying that the signal from your modem disappeared and dhcpcd timed out waiting for it to come back. (The timeout is set at 60 secs). It is even not clear to me that dhcpcd ever got any signal from your modem.

The following is the RED connection log on my system.

|05:00:06|dhcpcd[8017]|: dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting|
|05:00:06|dhcpcd[8020]|: DUID 00:01:00:01:2a:59…|
|05:00:06|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: waiting for carrier|
|05:00:08|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: carrier acquired|
|05:00:08|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: IAID b9:5e:aa:dc|
|05:00:08|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: adding address fe80::30d:b4ff:yyyy:xxxx|
|05:00:08|dhcpcd[8020]|: ipv6_addaddr1: Permission denied|
|05:00:09|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: soliciting a DHCP lease|
|05:00:09|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: soliciting an IPv6 router|
|05:00:12|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: offered xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy|
|05:00:13|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: probing address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/22|
|05:00:18|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: leased xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for 3600 seconds|
|05:00:18|dhcpcd[8020]|: red0: adding route to zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz/22|

There is a message “waiting for carrier” followed by “acquired carrier” which I don’t see in your log message. Are those present but were not included in your copy/paste?

Without acquiring a carrier signal dhcpcd will not be able to do the solicitation for a DHCP lease. If the carrier is never acquired then there is some connection issue between your IPFire system and the Fibre Modem.
My connection is also to a Fibre system.

Are you certain that you have the network cable from the Fibre modem connected to the correct NIC on your IPFire box.

1 Like