Proxy Filter by Source IP and Destination Host

Hi folks,

Ky kids’ school issued them Chromebooks that are managed by the school IT staff. On the school’s network, they’re all proxied and firewalled and so forth. However, on my home network, none of that school-IT magic occurs (why don’t they use a VPN?). So I would like to apply some of my own filtering for these Chromebooks. I have assigned them static IPs and I have ensured that their wifi config uses my proxy - all good.

Now I would like to apply some per-source-IP filtering of certain destination hosts. For example¸ I don’t want my son surfing Twitch on his Chromebook, so I’d like to filter that family of hosts/URLs, but only for his Chromebook.

I took at a look at this existing topic:

But I can’t enter a list of destination hosts to filter on a per-time-rule basis. I can only pick from the list of existing filter categories, or the custom-blocked and custom-expression lists (which I assume refer to those like-named lists on the general URL Filter settings page).

Is it possible to write simple filter rules like:

Block *twitch.com from Chromebook1 ?

I was able to do this no problem when I was using tinyproxy.

Thanks for any help!
-Paul

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

Yes, you can do this:

1. Navigate to the URL filter page on the web interface.
  2. Click on “set time constraints” (a bit misleading, I guess :expressionless: ).
  3. Select the timeframe and enter the IP address(es) of the Chromebook.
  4. Select the categories you want to deny or allow, and save the rule.

Afterwards, that IP address should no longer be able to reach domains listed in the given categories. If twitch.com is not covered elsewhere, you can make use of the “custom” category for it.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation. I was able to add the time-based constraints and test that they are working as expected. I wasn’t sure if I needed to enable the “Enable expression lists” option at the bottom of the page, so I did anyway. I left the “Enable custom expressions” box unchecked because I don’t want these expressions applied to any other proxy connections.

Thanks!
-Paul

1 Like