Pmacct - A lightweight passive network monitoring tool

Hi Michael,
are you sure that you can execute a set of commands and options via ‘print_trigger_exec’ ? The examples i have found just calls the script. ‘print_trigger_exec’ needs ‘print_refresh_time’ to be executed but you have this in your configuration as far as i can see.

Best,

Erik

THIS could be the cause, your may be right, thanks for this suggestion.

I will give it a try and write different bash-scripts which itself include the parameters and will see what happens.

OTH, do you guess what happens if I use a " at the beginning and at the end to use one single string, similar to this one:

print_trigger_exec[green_full]: “cd /root/metrics && /usr/bin/python3 /root/metrics/traffic.py -f /root/metrics/traffic_green_full.csv -i green0 -m full”

Did not try this, but will definitely check this too.

YES! Erik this was the correct solution! I’ve now coded some bash script that itself call my Python script with arguments and change the mentioned option in pmacct.conf.

Since then, I get my values inserted into my database.

Thanks again,
Michael

Hi all,
there is a new version out --> https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct/releases but am currently not sure which compile time options do you all got. If you are interested, just let it me know. If the old, not solvable problems can be solved with the new version i would make then may a merge request.

Best,

Erik

1 Like

I have pmacct installed and running. I still haven’t found an easy way to get data out of pmacct besides downloading everything and manipulating data within MS Excel.

Anyway - I’d like to see it updated and merged as an approved addon!

Hi Jon,
happy that you find it useful but i need some infos from you all (which are using it) in which kind you are using it. RabbitMQ, GeoIP, Sqlite only ?

Best,

Erik

Using pmacct just like what was discussed at the top of this thread. And I am using Sqlite.

And my goal is to find this type of info so I can learn what device is getting me too close to my data cap.

Hey Erik @ummeegge!

Happy Holidays! I want to re-download and re-install pmacct but it is missing from:
https://people.ipfire.org/~ummeegge/pmacct/

Is it moving to an approved, official IPFire add-on?     I hope!   I hope!   I hope!

1 Like

Hi Jon, yes i deleted it. Please send me an PM for further infos.

Best,

Erik

@hellfire - Did you get RED0 and BLUE0 up & running within pmacct? Did you find out how to distinguish those network interfaces?

Hi all,
since Pmacct is meanwhile available with Core 157 which is currently in testing tree i would like to say thanks to @jon @bonnietwin @ms and @hellfire for making this possible.
I would close this topic, which was mainly opened to develop a usable version of Pmacct as an IPFire addon, with the final release of Core 157.

Thanks again for all of your work, well done :relaxed: :+1: .

Best,

Erik

1 Like

I’ll add my Thank you! also. I appreciate your efforts and persistence in making pmacct official.

Here is a mostly completed pmacct Wiki page:

And a completed SQLite with pmacct Wiki page:

Future plans: working on a CGI page for pmacct!

2 Likes

IPFire 2.25 - Core Update 157 was officially released on Monday, June 21.

And pmacct is a part of that build!

standing ovation!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
standing ovation!

I’m closing this thread. If you have any questions or issues please begin a new post.