New IPfire home setup stand alone wifi cant find internet

Have been running Edgerouter lite for years and smootrhwall express before that. Last month my Edgerouter lite stopped working. Since smoothwall is no longer supported I decided to give IPfire a try. Very disappointed as before I was using the Edgerouter to run my wired home network which consisted of 1 file server 6 PCs and a wireless router . All on a 10 port switch. The wireless router served a Firestick 2- I pads and 2 - I phones. This setup worked flawlessly before but the wireless router can no longer access the internet through the IPfire machine. Do you have any suggestions or workarounds ?

Hello Frank.

Have you already looked at https://wiki.ipfire.org/ ?

For example:

Regards

3 Likes

Something else to consider is your configuration. Is the wireless modem routing another subnet behind it to the blue network for forwarding on to the Red? If so, you will require a Firewall Rule be in place covering that subnet’s IP’s allowing them through the Red.

The reason I mention this, is I just experienced this challenge today when configuring my green network. See this thread, if this applies to you:

Have a great evening…

My current setup seems to work fine with any combination of smoothwall express, -wired router (retail)- and Wi-Fi router(retail) but will not work with IPfire. If you would like to access the homeowner users you could code a home version that would work out of the box with out the special Wi-Fi settings. Thank you

Many ipfire users have a home setup. This is what I have:

What special is needed?

1 Like

Is this in bridge mode?

Home user here.Special settings?
If You Have a Blue zone setup than there it a MAC filter.
You can Bypass that if you want not hard to do.
If you only Have on network “green” than no mac filter.
If You are using a AP with a Guest network on a different Subnet.
Than this will apply.

I see you have a WI-Fi router on the green interface. That is also what I have . Any thing communicating with the WI-FI on the green interface says internet not available.

so you have something like this?

That should be easy also!

EDIT: I am guessing there is an incorrect setting in the Wi-Fi box. Is the Wi-Fi set-up for DHCP?

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know what subnets or bridge mode are all about all I did was configure Red and Green interface and connected the switch as is in your diagram and any thing attempting to communicate to the internet through the WI-FI router responds internet not available. All other devices Connect to internet. Thank you for your patience

Router is standard off the shelf ASUS WI-FI router with only password changed. Connected to switch and powered up. If I replace the IPfire with standard Edgerouter everything works. Thanks again

Please connect to the wifi box and take a screen shot of the network settings. I am looking for the IP Addresses.

I am guessing a setting between the Edgerouter and the IPFire has changed. So we need to figure what setting is not the same.

1 Like

Jon, I very much appreciate your help but i am now running with a $40.00 wired router without any configuration to a $100.00 wi-fi router without any special configuration and all works fine. The first response I received as you can see that the WIKI requires some blue network configuration using the WI-FI routers MAC address . Why does the WIKI require this? Not out of the box friendly. I will reload IPfire on another machine tomorrow and try again. Thank you

I forgot to ask. Do i need a blue network with a additional net card ? Is there another configuration i missed?
Can you assign the blue interface to the green card in dashboard?

Based on your first post many of us thought you were running a BLUE (and GREEN) network. The BLUE network requires a simple setting.

Since you have a GREEN only network none of that is needed.

Like I mentioned I think the $100.00 wi-fi router may have our answer. If the wifi router is setup for DHCP it should start working.

2 Likes

I may be missing something but if the WI-FI router is currently working and has never hat a static ip address wouldn’t that indicate that DHCP is working and it is connecting successfully and transferring data to any and all devices? Also what was the purpose of the first two WIKI examples?

Based on the first post many of us thought you were running a BLUE NETWORK. And BLUE network is usually used as a wireless network. But you don’t have a BLUE so this is not needed.

maybe. Since we are troubleshooting this is just one of the things to check.

The other thing to check is the IPFire DHCP WebGUI. Look in the menu Network > DHCP Server and in the Current dynamic leases section. We’d be looking for your ASUS router.

1 Like

Now I am more confused. If a WI-Router works fine on a green network without additional setup then why would I run a blue network? You state that a blue network is usually used for a wireless network and not necessary (why) very confusing.

Sorry for not explaining the “why”. I was trying to keep things simple to get you up & running.

• The BLUE network is more restrictive than the GREEN network.
  • The ORANGE network is more restrictive than the BLUE (and GREEN) network.
  • And the RED Network is the most restrictive.

Read through these Wiki pages. It may help but it may generate lots of new questions.

This will just help you get started. Sorry to push you this way but it will help.

4 Likes

Often time we use old routers as AP.
Not all routers like this.

3 Likes

Security and easy to use, pick one because you can’t have both.

Green has the least restrictions and more easy to use, because it is supposed to be a wired network inside your premises. To do bad stuff to your network one has to physically connect with a cable to it.

Instead, with WIFI it is enough to be just close. I can see at list 5 wifi routers from my neighbors which I could access from my living room. There you want to be more restrictive in things a user can do. For example, you want to prevent access to IPFire configuration webpage, or to your NAS where you have files you care about.

If you decide to run a server in your home always connected to internet, you have to assume it will be hacked for sure and it is just a matter of time. Therefore you always back up your data and also you completely isolate that machine form your precious green network, with your nas etc. Hence, the existence of the orange zone where anything there is completely isolated form all other local networks.

3 Likes