Cant seem to route internet to green0

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this product but not new to networking. Great FW btw!

I have a problem, whereas I have put the Green Network in 192.0.1.0/30, along with my router. The router has the subnet 172.16.11.0/24 with all my LAN stuff. As with my previous setup, I have inserted a route for 0.0.0.0/0 to use the Green Network IP 192.0.1.2 for traffic. There is no tagging involved in any of this configuration.

Unfortunately, I can’t ping 8.8.8.8 from the 172.16.11.0/24 subnet. The Red network is validated as working. When I had green interface with an address in the 172.16.11.0/24 subnet and configured a client to use it as its gateway - everything worked fine. However, I’m transitioning and would like to have all internet traffic sent to the green network via router at 192.0.1.1 > 192.0.1.2.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance and have a great day!

Klaus

Can you ping your ipfire gateway?

Sure I can ping that. Upon further examination, I found that I needed to create a firewall rule that allowed all of the traffic from the 172.16.11.0/24 subnet to the Red interface. I don’t have the blocking turned on, but the default action must be to disallow it since the Green0 interface is in the 192.0.1.0/24 subnet and my clients are routed to it from the 172.16.11.0/24 subnet.

Problem solved. Back to more experimentation on whether or not I can use this to replace my backdoored untrusted Lithuanian router gear from Mikrotik. BTW, I’m running Ipfire on a server board that is booted from Libreboot ROM :wink: No more Intel Management Engine backdoor access - so suck it NSA/CIA/FBI/Whomever

1 Like