List of DNS Servers

so odd!

Maybe my firewall vacuum tubes warm up faster! :upside_down_face:

How does safe search work in real life? Do you find it blocking things you hoped it wouldnā€™t?

It is best to open a new thread when changing subjectsā€¦

https://blog.ipfire.org/search?q=safe+search

2 Likes

The label and link to SafeDNS is not consistent with IP Address 146.185.167.43. I believe this should be SecureDNS
ā€¦
For the past few days it hasnā€™t been working ā€“ no response from SYN_SENT
And that IP Address doesnā€™t respond to ping

1 Like

SecureDNS has been shutdown since the 30th of April 2020. Please do not use SecureDNS anymore.

https://securedns.eu/

1 Like

Excellent! Two count-em two problems :upside_down_face:

1. The label and link to SafeDNS is wrong ā€“ not for 146.185.167.43
  2. 146.185.167.43 is now out of service and should be removed from the list
1 Like

Quad9 blocks malware sites. Wouldnā€™t this be considered a Hosted Blacklist?

Technically yes.

Interesting posts about quad9 from chairman of the board of directors Bill Woodcock

Hi,

yes, thanks for catching this. :slight_smile:

Would you mind editing the Wiki page accordingly? (Your login credentials work
there as well, drop me a line in case of any trouble.)

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĆ¼ller

I added the filtering servers to the Unusable section, but was hesitant to blow away the entries above under servers that support TCP/UDP and DOT, because technically they do (as do many other entries under Unusable).

Iā€™ll leave that for someone else to decide.

Iā€™ll just say, Iā€™m not really happy with the verbiage ā€œUnusable DNS Providersā€. They obviously are usable, they just either donā€™t support DNSSEC at all or break DNSSEC for sites that they block, which depending on the user, may or may not be a deal breaker. Iā€™d prefer something like ā€œFiltering DNS Providers that May Negatively Impact DNSSECā€ or something similar.

I use Quad9 because of it privacy policies. And on the surface I think it is a good thing Quad9 helps with malware sites. So to me it is a ā€œUsable DNS Providerā€.

Is there such thing as a high privacy, high speed, DNS provider that doesnā€™t break ā€œbadā€ DNSSEC? Is this a DNS unicorn?

https://wiki.ipfire.org/dns/public-servers?action=diff&a=2020-05-02T17:36:14.962408&b=2020-05-07T18:30:25.746837

I would still recommend to remove them from the top then, because the point of the table was to recommend something to people. If they are in the bottom table, they are not recommended.

That was the idea of the page.

Removed Quad9 from recommended providers and rephrased Unusable section to ā€œnot recommendedā€.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

@pmueller @ms

While i reading this thread

I inform myself here

I ask me now is this something for our DNS providers that are not recommended?

1 Like

Snopyta (FI) service havenā€™t work in ages. Maybe it should be removed from list?

censurfridns.dk gives certificate error for some reason, itā€™s been like that days maybe weeks.

Iā€™ve come across Blah dns service but not sure if itā€™s good enough for wiki list since it does filtering. There are servers in Finland, Germany, Singapore, Japan and Switzerland

A hobby Adblock DNS project with HTTP/3, DoH, DoT, DoQ, DNSCryptv2 support.

1 Like

Just looking through this a bit quick. So much info. I have read the wiki page and its recommendations but at first glance it seems one has to be picky if wanting filtration and dnssec from the same provider.

It appears this DoT server is also dead and has been that way for a long time:

> Comcast / Xfinity (beta) 96.113.151.145 dot.xfinity.com

1 Like

The IPFire wiki is editable by the community users. You can login with your IPFire People credentials and make the changes yourself.

It might be a good idea to contact the censurfri people about that error in case they donā€™t know of the problem. There are various ways to contact the censurfri admin.
https://blog.uncensoreddns.org/contact/

1 Like