During the last week of December I upgraded our firewall from Core 152 to 153.
My wife returned to work today. She works in the schools and is mandated by her employer to use the GSuite which includes Google Meet for interacting with students (distance learning).
On Google Chrome, you could see that the browser was picking up audio and video, but her coworkers were not hearing audio and not seeing video from her.
After a bit of experimentation we found:
- This outage affected everything connected to LAN and WLAN regardless of OS (Ubuntu, iOS, Android, Windows).
- Firefox performed better where audio would be transmitted across the internet, but no video would make it out.
I reset my modem, reset IPFire. Still no dice. I verified that my ISP had no maintenance or outage on going in my area. I also verified that Google Meet wasn’t having some sort of outage today. I was hesitant to point the finger at IPFire as I have never had an issue, but after reading “After Core 153, Discord Cam no longer working” and a few others I suspected that Core 153 might be the cause of our video conferencing woes.
So I took the unprecedented step of downgrading from Core 153 to 152. After restoring everything from backup and reinstalling add-ons (I only use hostapd), I fired up a Google Meet room and regardless of browser or OS everything worked again (audio and video streamed between clients flawlessly) so the issue appears to be in Core 153 somewhere.
I would love to help out in solving this and if there are any other details that I can provide, please let me know.