Cannot find .p12 file in Windows 11?

Hey guys!

I’m pretty new to IPFire as I’m getting an IT technician at the moment and my instructors don’t know how to work with IPFire and especially OpenVPN.
We installed IPFire on an APU (This is the one) and it works like a charm. Even the OpenVPN from outside works - on Linux and Android.
But here’s the thing: It does not work on Windows. I downloaded the .zip file with the .ovpn and the .p12 files in it and unpacked it.
With OpenVPN GUI, I imported the .ovpn file and installed the .p12 file directly into Windows by double clicking.
But when I want to connect to the network, I’m getting an error:

2023-01-20 15:48:54 WARNING: cannot stat file 'MA2.p12': Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.   (errno=2)
Options error: --pkcs12 fails with 'MA2.p12': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.

In English it means that the system can’t find the specified file.
Do you have any ideas how I can solve this problem?

BR from Austria,
Michael

Which version of the client are you using?

I would just like to remind you that there are two editions/versions of the openvpn client available on openvpn.net .

1. the “official” version - OpenVPN Connect
  2. the Community Edition version

These editions, differ in the way they are configured.
Differences in configuration, have been a source of trouble, reported and explained on the IPFire forum.

Which version are you using?

edit

Below two helpful links:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/OpenVPN-GUI-New

edit2
A while ago, I downloaded the Community version of OpenVPN-2.5.8-I604-amd64.msi and installed it on Windows 11.
It made a tunnel with the remote IPFire without any problem.
I was able to open the remote IPFire configuration page by entering the IP address of green0 without any problems.

3 Likes

Hi!

On the client side I’m using the OpenVPN GUI from the Community Downloads from Community Downloads | OpenVPN like shown in the Wiki. Should be version 2.5.8 because it’s the last stable.

To the links you’ve posted: The one doesn’t help at all and the other link which was about laying the .p12 file to the directory where to config file is stored was a thing I already tried. Both the .p12 file and the .ovpn file are stored in C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config.

You can always create an “insecure” package by not setting any password on the certificates. In the insecure package every piece of information needed is in clear text inside .ovpn file, hence the insecure characterization.

I cannot help you further as I do not have a windows OS, but I feel that you are having an unusual problem. You probably need to import the certificate from inside the OpenVPN Connect client. If you look how it works for android and iOS in my tutorial, I would assume it should be similar for windows.

Configuration files can be placed in two locations.

obraz

Today I set up a test environment.

After creating a test connection (with password) openvpntest
I downloaded the configuration file “Download Client Package (zip)

to the \OpenVpn\config folder in the user’s profile

obraz

then I extracted the downloaded Download Client Package (zip) file to the folder

obraz

obraz

After unzipping the file, I right-clicked on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

obraz

next in the menu I clicked Connect

obraz

then the following message appeared

obraz

After clicking “Yes”, the user is added to the “OpenVPN Administrators” group.

obraz

I next entered the password…

obraz

… and the connection to the server has been established :smiley:

obraz

Below, the IPFire WUI configuration page opened from the GREEN IP address.

Tested on:

• IPFire 2.27 (x86_64) - Core-Update 172
  • Windows 11 Pro 21H2
  • Community OpenVPN Client v2.5.8

Best regards.

3 Likes

Returning to your error…

I started with an empty configuration

obraz

obraz

obraz

Only the .ovpn file is imported into the configuration folder.

obraz

obraz

obraz

obraz

Below is the client log of the attempted connection to the server, after importing the .ovpn file.

2023-01-21 19:48:03 WARNING: cannot stat file 'openvpntest.p12': No such file or directory   (errno=2)
Options error: --pkcs12 fails with 'openvpntest.p12': No such file or directory (errno=2)
2023-01-21 19:48:03 WARNING: cannot stat file 'ta.key': No such file or directory   (errno=2)
Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'ta.key': No such file or directory   (errno=2)
Use --help for more information.

Below is the effect after adding only the ta.key file to the configuration folder.

2023-01-21 19:52:56 WARNING: cannot stat file 'openvpntest.p12': No such file or directory   (errno=2)
Options error: --pkcs12 fails with 'openvpntest.p12': No such file or directory (errno=2)

Below is the effect after adding only the .p12 file to the configuration folder

obraz

2023-01-21 19:55:26 WARNING: cannot stat file 'ta.key': No such file or directory   (errno=2)
Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'ta.key': No such file or directory   (errno=2)

Below is the effect after adding both files (.p12 and ta.key) to the configuration folder.

obraz

I hope that this is understandable
Regards

4 Likes

You, master, are my PERSONAL HERO! :anguished:
I, a professional idiot, didn’t know that the config files are stored on two places… :smiley:

I stored the .p12 file simply in C:\Users[My Username]\OpenVPN\config and it worked INSTANTLY!

Okay, thank you very much guys, your help is absolutely amazing!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

3 Likes