Cache Manager Menu For Web Proxy Not Loading

Eric,
many thx that you really tried with setting a password. :wink:

This was/is the main problem Kenneth and I reported.
You tried to help with posting of some screenshots ( not even actual? ) and many basic explanations, but you did show your real configuration very late in this thread. This (little) information showed the problem!
Thus our conversation sometimes seemed to be not really consistent.

Could you post a bug at bugzilla, please? You got this error earlier and you have more insight in the pitfalls of the proxy configuration.

Eric,
That was meant to be a Hooray!
Thanks greatly. Now Iā€™ve moved on to
wondering why the IPS log file is always blank - possible
that my area is not part of any scan or attack surface.

Thanks, you have done much work and canā€™t express the relief of
having not to worry or wonder why that was.

Hope that it is beneficial to other users. Perhaps should petition the
manager of the site to allow editing the post to make it easy to comprehend.

Had hoped the fire hydrant looking like a Dalmatian and titled tah-rah-boom-b-a
was A-List. Loved your Mustang - drove a three speed convertible in 1966 San Diego.
Macho 351 Windsor motor.

Ken

Sure Bernhard, Iā€™d be happy to post a bug note for dev. I will try my best to find thst site, but can you post back the url.

Eric

Hey Kenneth,

I seen the Fire Hydrant and assumed it was possible that you was on the network team at a Fire Dept or that you was a firefighter.

I like the feel of Mustangs. Nice cars.

In any event, if you need some help with IPS, I would be happy to help.

Do me a favor and start a new thread, and I will jump over there to help you out. IPS shouldnā€™t be as difficult to correct.

Eric

https://wiki.ipfire.org/devel/bugzilla

Thank you for that,

That was totally not what I expected it to be, but I will head in that direction.

Much Appreciatedā€¦

The well-known link is bugzilla.ipfire.org :wink:

Bug 12451 has been logged for review referencing this thread of convo.

Thx

1 Like

Eric,

A second thought: the solution basis was No Password and Unrestricted IP addresses): 192.168.5.2 (Blue) 192.168.2.2 (Green) 192.168.8.1 (red).

The worry is Unrestricted IP addresses might by pass the firewall, which in-itself defeat the Firewall.

Whatā€™s your thought?

Hi Kenneth,

To prevent a hodgepodge of confusion between topics, could you create a new thread topic for IPS if that happens to be what your asking.

Be happy to help, just trying to prevent confusion on that front.

Eric

1 Like

Thanks Eric,

1. New Topic added. and have received an idea to
    test an eicar web page; firewall blocked access to
    that page but no reason was given in the Log file
    since eicar is not part of the rule-set. Hmm?

Meanwhile checked a few DNS Protocol and that
caused 100s of log results - regretfully way
too many.

1. regarding our conversation about the Cache Management
    could you please reconfirm adding the cacheā€™s IP to the
    White List (that IP 192.168.2.2 is the BLUE Wireless).
    Doesnā€™t adding that to the Whitelist defeat the Firewall?

Iā€™ve removed that IP from the white list thinking to
add it back when it is necessary to examine the cache.

Looking forward to your reply,

Ken

If your referring to the Unrestricted IP box in the Web Proxy settings, that is for a single IP . x.x.x.x/32ā€¦ The box above it is for the Full Network /24. Those Group boxes are a subset of the Cache Manager, not Browser Traffic. They should have named it something like ā€œAllow access to Cache Managerā€ to prevent confusion.

#2.
It is so it can process the traffic flowing through it, if I am hearing what your saying. I would try to remove the IP, recycle services, test, and if it works correctly, leave the entry out. If not, put it back and recycle services, test and see if it again works.

When you say whitelist, I am assuming you mean the URL filter settings. When I remove my Interface IP x.x.x.1 for Green from the URL Whitelist box, this happens and it wonā€™t load.

When I add the Green Interface Back to the URL whitelist x.x.x.1, this happens and works.

Additionally, all sub URIā€™s for cache manager load fine then

Kenneth,

If you have Started an IPS thread, can you give me a link so I can go look?

Eric

Only the Cache Manager? Nothing Else? It should say that!
Attached Screen Image

If Bernhard is still monitoring maybe he can confirm or set me straight if I am wrong. I would have thought the GUI would take into consideration its other parts, but this is just a front-end GUI to several linux networking tools. The fact that I can literally cause the cache manager menu to not work by removing my interface IP from my whitelist is strange. On the flip side of the coinā€¦ you may be right. I am confused myself at this point.

Eric,
yes I am monitoring this thread. But I can not follow your considerations about whitelists, blacklists, ā€¦
The topc is ā€œCache Manager Menu For Proxy Not Loadingā€. And we found, that there is a problem, if you set a password.
This is the solution, I think.

All other considerations belong to other issues.

• Bernhard

Thanks for your reply Bernhard. Kenneth, can you create a thread on the Whitelisting issue?

The Link

REGARDING THE CACHE MANAGER.
THE CACHE MANAGER IS NOW (FOR THE MOMENT AT LEAST) WORKING.
THERE IS NO PASSWORD
THERE IS NO IP ENTERED INTO THE WEB PROXY
THERE IS NO IP ENTERED INTO THE URL FILTER
YET THE CACHE MANAGER WORKS

THE ONLY CHANGE WAS TO HAVE DISABLED THE INTERNAL PROXIES
ACCESS TO GREEN . ACCESS FROM BLUE
PICTURE OF CHANGE

CASE SOLVED. CASE RESOLVED.

Cache Manager.png