2nd USB ethernet adapter not recognized after reboot unless replugged

Hi
I’m using two TP-Link USB 3.0 LAN network adapters. When only using one of them I’m not having any problems. If I have both attached and do a reboot, one is not recognized anymore. If I shutdown and boot up regularly the problem doesn’t occur. If I re plug the adapter while not recognized it’s being recognized. After re plugging the product-ID shown by “lsusb” changes from:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 2357:0601 TP-Link USB 10/100/1000 LAN
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 2357:8151 TP-Link USB 10/100/1000 LAN
to:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 2357:0601 TP-Link USB 10/100/1000 LAN
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 2357:0601 TP-Link USB 10/100/1000 LAN

I’m using a notebook which only has two USB ports so I can’t try another port.
Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help!

Hi,

thank you for reporting this - it reminds me of this bug which unfortunately only occurs on some mainboards, and we never managed to confirm it aside from one machine I am personally running.

Just to ensure: Which Core Update are you running?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

P.S.: Actually, this recent commit in the Linux stable tree looks related, but I may be wrong. Are you capable of compiling the latest Linux 5.15.x version yourself and give it a try?

Hi,
thank you for the quick reply. I’m running on the latest Core Update, 168. Unfortunately I’m not capable of compiling the latest kernel.
Best regards

Hi,

thank you for reporting back.

Well, with regards to the aforementioned kernel commit, @arne_f told me that this merely affects USB OTG, hence most probably would not have resolved your issue.

Nevertheless, may I ask you to give Core Update 169 (testing) a try? Since we updated the kernel in there, there is a slim change that this changes anything. Also, to investigate weather this is mainboard or USB hub related, could you please post your Fireinfo profile link here?

Peter Müller

Hi,
thanks again for your affords.

https://fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/075ebd038495d4db1c81c43fb1c672167812f1eb

Unfortunetaly the testing update didn’t change the problem.

Have a nice week and best regards

1 Like

Hi,

apologies for the belated response.

My guess is that this problem (presumed we share the same one :slight_smile: ) is not related to the USB adapter itself, but to the USB hub component on the mainboard. I will investigate, but do not have an idea how to fix this at the moment. Probably a kernel bug or something alike… :frowning:

Peter Müller

Hi,

the upcoming Core Update 170, which should be available for testing soon-ish, comes with an updated kernel. Since I recall 5.15.57 featuring some changes to XHCI and possibly other related components, it would be great if you could give Core Update 170 a try once a testing version of it is released.

Will keep you updated.

Peter Müller

2 Likes

Hi,
thank you for your effords, Peter. Unfortunately I don’t have physical access to the system at the moment. I will try the update with the next stable release.

Best regards