What web proxy Authentication Method do you use?

Packaged into IPFire are authentication methods. They can be found in the WebGUI at menu Network > Web Proxy. Scroll to the bottom of the Web Proxy screen to locate Authentication method.

I’ve created an anonymous poll and will post the results, without names, in December.

What IPFire Web Proxy Authentication method do you use?
  • None
  • Local
  • identd
  • LDAP
  • RADIUS

0 voters

3 Likes

You poll miss the “Active Directory” method. This is only displayed if samba is installed and joined to a AD.

I cannot update the poll without deleting the existing votes.

If you use Active Directory and want to vote, you’ll need to do a write-in vote. But this will not be anonymous.

For the record I do not use this feature yet.
Still learning. But voted based on what I would use.

Please take a moment to vote       :arrow_left:   subliminal advertisement

We have 1000+ users in the IPFire Community. And 250+ people have read this thread. But we have only 34 voters on the above poll.

Please take a moment to vote       :arrow_left:   subliminal advertisement

I’ll be releasing the results on Friday, January 11.

Please take a moment to vote!

Hi Jon,
thanks for your effort to do this, great idea. I did used the local proxy authentication and i really liked it but think also that it serves a good layer of protection. Currently some devices can´t handle this so i needed to deactivate it.

Regarding to your poll, makes it sense to click it even i have this history and circumstances ? What is the poll in general for ?

Best and greetings,

Erik

The wiki has little to no info about the authentication methods. So if lots of people use one method, then I’m going to try and update that method. If no one uses a single authentication method then I’m not going to spend too much time (probably none) to update.

And some of knowing is just curiosity…

If you use/used Local and it doesn’t work, I’d be interested in the “why”. Why do some devices not work? Then I can add that info to a Local Authentication “disadvantages” section.

If you currently use None (and don’t plan to use Local) then picking None sounds right.

Does that help?
Jon

OK i see, thanks for the information.

Best and greetings,

Erik

1 Like

My noob vote will carry a lot of weight with only 35 votes.

1 Like

That almost pushes us over the top!

Disappointing to hear the poor response received on request to answer one short question.

These surveys are key for setting the future direction and initiatives of ipfire as a product and the effort by a greatly appreciated team.

I encourage folks to take a minute to complete Jon’s survey if they haven’t already.

Robert

2 Likes

Hi all.

Sorry for the late vote. My install is at home, all workstations are linux soooooooo i voted for none.

Thank’s.

1 Like

Hi Every one,
I know is Anonymous, but here is the thing for me , I am not using it for (none) because I am mostly using Ipfire at home and as a learning for my self but sadly did not understand what is that authentication and so i leave it as it is which is none.

best regards

Neopegasus

Results are above.

Ha! Me too! I tried to set up identd and that didn’t work for me! (too long ago to remember the details!) So next I might try local.

2 Likes

Thanks for the poll and the results! I’m also not using any authentication method for the web proxy. More than that, I was even thinking of giving up using the (transparent) web proxy at all. With 95% of all web servers using HTTPS nowadays (which is a good thing) and a Cable modem it seems pointless to me having Squid running as a transparent proxy and not being able to do caching, reasonable URL filtering, ClamAV and stuff. Let alone the fact that some new devices are difficult (or unable) to initialise and being set up when you need to configure a (non-transparent) proxy first, maybe with additional authentication parameters etc.

Just my € 0.02