VPN clients won't connect

I thought I had this all worked out…

I configured my laptop so that it gets the same IP each time so I can access a server on my network.

I went to the local library, VPN’ed into my net. Checked a few addresses for access and mounted the directories from the server. Appeared to be working.

This weekend I was on the road. At my hotel I connected I VPN’ed into my net. My ip now showed as be the one assigned during the setup and output of the startup shows no errors or warnings. But, I could not connect to anything on net. Any attempt to access machines on my net would just ultimately timeout.

I looked at the ipfire logs, nothing jumped out at me…but, then, I’m not sure what I’m looking for.

Is it possible the hotel had some security measure blocking me? But why would the VPN start up output show something of that?

:thinking:Have you compared the network address of this hotel with:
the address of your VPN tunnel?
the address of your LAN network?

I’m not sure what I’d be looking for.

Are you thinking the IP of tunnel or my LAN just happen to be the same as that of the hotel, but not at the library?

I do not exclude this possibility.

Long time ago i had similar problem no connections but all seems correct.
Have you ever tried to do an tcp connection instead of udp?
This was a solution for me, after some updates it worked for udp also.
But do not ask me why.

I finally got some time to look at the log of the session at the hotel.

I don’t see any addresses that would overlap.

The dynamic address looks ok. the address assigned to the road warrior is as specified when I set it up.

I see a gateway I don’t recognize:

net_route_v4_best_gw result: via 172.20.0.1 dev wlp0s20f3
ROUTE_GATEWAY 172.20.x.x