VPN clients won't connect

I never did the rename thing. I built it from scratch, and restored. Then I disconnected the old hardware and plugged in the new.

The only thing I had to do was get the ISP to clear the lease and re-DHCP.

But, the dynamic dhcp seems to be ok.

To be clear, the log I referred to earlier, was the Roadwarrior log.

Yes it says it is running.

I stopped it. Started it.

I see none of the logs in WUI show anything about VPN. (Or, I simply don’t know which to look at and how.)

And, the ovpn file create in WUI, apparently isn’t valid anymore. (or the android connect has a bug…) it apparently wants the ta key in the ovpn file.

You need to look in the WUI (Web User Interface) - press the menu item labelled Logs on the top menu line - right hand most menu item.

Screenshot_2024-02-03_23-22-00
Then select the bottom most menu on that list labelled System Logs.

That will show the following screen.

In the drop down box labelled Section select the option labelled OpenVPN

and then press the button labelled Update and this will trhen show the OpenVPN Logs.

In your earlier comment about the client log you only mentioned

but now you mention that

If the client is expecting the ta.key file to be present and the server is not presenting it then this will cause the connection to fail.

That sounds like your server setup has not matched the setup as was originally defined in the old working IPFire system and that your clients will be expecting.

On your OpenVPN WUI page do you have the checkbox labelled “TLS Channel Protection:” checked as shown here

or not.

If the client profile is expecting the ta.key file then that checkbox needs to be checked on the IPFire server and the Hash algorithm box needs to have the same hash algorithm selected as when the certificates were originally created.

All of these would be defined from the restore from the backup.

If these are different that would suggest that the backup you restored from is an older or different one where those options were not selected as expected by your client(s).

What Core Update were you running on your old working system?

I presume that you installed the Core Update 182 version into your new system.

On your old working system did you run the backup WUI option just before installing the Core Update 182 into your new system and did you download the correct backup from that IPFire to your PC that is running the Web User Interface system?

Thanks for the instructions on getting the logs for OpenVPN.
This from the stop/start yesterday.
OpenVPN-log.txt.zip (1.7 KB)

The client (in this case an Android using OpenVPN Connect) was using the .ovpn file successfully on the phone before I updated the server.
I noted that in the meantime, the app had been updated. So, I attempted to re-load the .ovpn and this is when I saw the issue with not finding the ta.key file. So, this is newly observed.

I don’t think the TLS checkbox has been changed.

The process of restore. I updated the old server to the current core at the time. I then made a full backup. I installed the same core on the new hardware. Then, to avoid introducing the new hardware into my network with the same name, I used a crossover cable to connect to the WUI and restored the backup.

Since I only have 2 devices ( 1 phone and 1 laptop) to setup as road warrior, I have no problem deleting the existing certs and creating new. But, not sure how to generate what the phone app wants. And, testing the laptop is difficult since I have no alternative way to connect from outside my LAN.

From that log I can see

Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication

So that indicates that you do have the TLS Checkbox ticked.

You can also see people trying to access the OpenVPN server from the internet and they are being dropped because they are not providing the ta.key info which is required first before the actual data channel setup is even attempted.

TLS Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET]223.113.128.133:49275

So if your server has the TLS Channel Protection enabled and that has not changed then your client profiles must all have the ta.key file as well.

So if your client is saying that it can’t find the ta.key file then something must have changed in that client that means it is no longer finding it wherever you placed it on your android phone file system.

Check the location where you have the connection info stored on your phone. There should be the .ovpn file, the .p12 certificate set file and the ta.key file.

If the ta.key file is still where it was when you originally set up your client connection then the client is no longer seeing it and you will need to remake theclient connection on the android phone and tell it where the ta.key file is stored.

Can you provide a copy of the log file from the OpenVPN Connect App. I don’t know where that app keeps the log info but it must be available somewhere. On my OpenVPN for Android App it provides a page with the log info in it which I can then copy into a file and download from my phone to my PC.
That log file must have more details about the problem with the ta.key file that the App is having.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong when trying to import the .ovpn file. Now I get to the point where it wants me to select a certificate from the Android keychain.

If I select continue without, it say OpenSSLContext: CA not defined.

If I select the one offered it fails as well.

Logfile from phone:

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] ----- OpenVPN Start -----

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ACTIVE

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] OpenVPN core 3.8.4connectX(3.git::c424d46c:RelWithDebInfo) android arm64 64-bit PT_PROXY

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] Frame=512/2112/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] NOTE: This configuration contains options that were not used:

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] Internal option allowed only to be pushed by the server

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] 17 [auth-token-user] [USER]

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] 18 [auth-token] [TOTP]

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ERROR info='option_error: sorry, unsupported options present in configuration: Internal option allowed only to be pushed by the server (auth-token,auth-token-user)'

[Feb 05, 2024, 10:36:36] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_DONE

Can you follow this tutorial (ignoring the iOS part)?

2 Likes

I followed that tutorial.

The order of putting in the password was different, but it created the profile.

Attempting to connect fails after asking to select a certificate and selecting the one added during this procedure.

This may have something to do with what’s happening:

I note in the WUI OpenVPN that the download icons for Root/Host/TLS-Authentication-Key are greyed out.

I’m not sure how to proceed.

Should I attempt to generate new certificates?

Should I remove OpenVPN and start over?

In these cases, I start over from step 0.

How do I remove the diffie-Hellman parameters?

Stop the server and click on remove x509

Ye, did that and the DH is still there:

It is a fixed parameter since some Core Updates ago.

1 Like

forgot about that. See this:

OpenVPN is automatically reconfigured to use a secure Diffie-Hellman parameter, both of sufficient length of 4,096 bit and standardized (see RFC 7919, section A.3, bug #12632). All OpenVPN clients and peers will automatically benefit from this cryptography improvement; no manual action is required. This also obsoletes the necessity of generating or uploading Diffie-Hellman parameters while configuring OpenVPN, saving a lot of time, as the generation of such parameters could have taken hours on slower hardware.

1 Like

In the past I did not have a dynamic dns. I do now. Is it best to use that in the cert generation?

Ok, new certs new roadwarrior. No connect.

Log from the phone:

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] OpenVPN core 3.8.4connectX(3.git::c424d46c:RelWithDebInfo) android arm64 64-bit PT_PROXY

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] ----- OpenVPN Start -----

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ACTIVE

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] Frame=512/2112/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] NOTE: This configuration contains options that were not used:

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] Internal option allowed only to be pushed by the server

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] 17 [auth-token-user] [USER]

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] 18 [auth-token] [TOTP]

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ERROR info='option_error: sorry, unsupported options present in configuration: Internal option allowed only to be pushed by the server (auth-token,auth-token-user)'

[Feb 06, 2024, 14:25:21] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_DONE

Please follow the tutorial to the letter, the 2FA authentication is not supported by OpenVPN Connect.

Create roadwarrior tutorial?

The tutorial I linked previously, contains a roadwarrior setting for Android and iOS.

No change, won’t connect.