Updateproblems (124) 131 -> upgrade

Hallo IP-Fire Friends :slight_smile:
i have IPfire noch 8 years in use. Now i have a problem my webgui ask me i have version:
IPFire 2.23 (x86_64) - Core Update 131
if i want update over the webgui under the point ipfire->pakfire its down work. i have login over ssh and press:
pakfire update --force → OK
pakfire upgrade → FAIL with message:
CORE UPGR: Upgrading from release 123 to 141

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-124.ipfire” from any available server.
May be you should run “pakfire update” to get some new servers.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-125.ipfire” from any available server.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-126.ipfire” from any available server.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-127.ipfire” from any available server.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-128.ipfire” from any available server.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-129.ipfire” from any available server.

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-130.ipfire” from any available server.
PAKFIRE UPGR: core-upgrade-124: Decrypting…

DOWNLOAD ERROR: There was no chance to get the file “paks/core-upgrade-2.21-124.ipfire” from any available server.
sh: /opt/pakfire/cache/core-upgrade-2.21-124.ipfire: No such file or directory
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

i dont understand this. my gui ask me i’m version 131 but the upgrade think that i user 124 ?!
Have you any Ideas ? Sorry for my bad english: school was long ago

About your problem, this is what I would do if I were in your place: I would backup your configuration using the web Interface, reinstall IPFire from scratch, restore the backup.

Here the wiki document explaining how the backup works: wiki.ipfire.org - Backup

pay attention to any non standard modification you did to your system and add the files to the backup, as explained in the wiki. Also you might need to fix the graphs, as described here: wiki.ipfire.org - Migrate to new hardware

Automatic translation works pretty well, especially if you write in a clear and concise way in your own language and you avoid using slang or uncommon sentences. I would suggest that you follow this procedure:

1. using your own language, you write as clearly as possible the text of your questions;
  2. then translate it with google translator;
  3. optional: translate back from English to your own language and see if the message is still clear; make some adjustment in case it is not;
  4. copy and paste the English translation into the forum editing window;
  5. finally you add to it any message error or log using either of the following tags:

Preformatted text

Blockquote

it is easy to do and you really need to remove as much friction as possible to the task of understanding what you need, If you want to have a chance of receiving an answer.

1 Like

Hi,

first, welcome to the IPFire community. Glad to see you decide to update this installation. :slight_smile:

Pakfire tries to fetch updates from our mirror servers, which are hosted by 3rd parties (mostly universities at the time of writing). We rely on their courtesy to provide disk space and bandwidth.

Basically, there are two flavours of mirroring IPFire: Either every Core Update we ever released, or just the latest one (see here for technical details). I have no oversight how many of these mirrors are keeping the full share, but it looks like those your Pakfire picked don’t.

This explains the download errors, but not the version difference.

Could you please post the output of these commands?

cat /etc/os-release
cat /opt/pakfire/db/core/mine

For the records: Core Update 124 (assuming this is the version you actually run) was released on October 15, 2018. Since, things like the Linux kernel we ship got bigger and bigger, eventually requiring a bigger /boot partition, which cannot be expanded during an upgrade. Therefore, please be mentally prepared to run a clean installation eventually. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Im not sure which is the minimal IPFire version that can still upgraded but our servers now force https encryption and old perl versions don’t support this. Do a fresh install and if your hardware not support x86_64 you should upgrade it too because i686 is end of life soon. (We wil drop the support 2022)

2 Likes

Hi Arne,

oh right, glad you remembered that. :slight_smile:

Well, according to OP, the installation is running x86_64 already…

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

This should help!

1 Like

[root@ipfire ~]# cat /etc/os-release
cat: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
[root@ipfire ~]# cat /opt/pakfire/db/core/mine
[root@ipfire ~]#

Do a fresh install …

root@ipfire ~]# cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="IPFire"
VERSION="2.27"
ID=ipfire
VERSION_ID=2
PRETTY_NAME="IPFire 2.27 (x86_64) - core159"
ANSI_COLOR="0:31"
1 Like

Ok i think its the best Way. I use the Manual / Instruction from cfusco. Thx to all