Update 158 --> to 161 problems with USB Ethernet Adpater

Since I updated to Core 161, I have the problem that my USB ethernet adapter is causing problems.

22:54:45 kernel: ax88179_178a 2-3: 1.0 green0: unregister 'ax88179_178a' usb-0000: 00: 14.0-3, ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet
22:54:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000: 00: 14.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or e p state.
22:54:45 kernel: usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 2

After the restart it works again for a few hours

Hi,

sorry for the late response on this.

Does upgrading to Core 162 make a difference here? It comes with a new kernel, which might change the behaviour - ideally solving the problem. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

2 Likes

Hi,

by the way: Since Core Update 162, I experience trouble with an Asix Electronics AX88772C USB-to-LAN adapter (but it worked fine with Core Update 161 and below).

Please refer to bug #12750 for details - perhaps your device is affected by this one as well.

Peter Müller

1 Like

Unfortunately I still have the problem with Core 162

Is this the sam Problem?
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202541#c176

Hi,

meanwhile, I get the impression we are dealing with two different problems:

Your case definitely sounds like the XHCI problem a patch is available for, and I believe shipping a kernel containing this patch should solve the issue.

In my case, there are no log messages in /var/log/bootlog apart from the usual ones. I only noticed the MAC and S/N of the adapter changed after rebooting into the new kernel, but that’s it.

Perhaps the aforementioned XHCI patch will solve this as well (collateral usage :wink: ), but I won’t take that for granted. Also, in my problem seems to be related to the board, not to the USB-LAN-adapters - a device I know is working perfectly fine does not work on the affected machine either.

Peter Müller

1 Like

OK, how can i use the patch for ipfire?

Hi,

this is unfortunately not so easy, since patches to a kernel cannot be applied without recompilation (in theory, there is such a thing as kernel livepatching, but it comes with security downsides, I rarely saw it being used in production, and it probably wouldn’t work in this case).

So, you can either compile a custom version of IPFire with the patches in question included, or wait for the next Core Update to fix this (we’d really appreciate your testing feedback on it). Given the current situation at kernel 5.15.6, I’d favor something like an emergency Core Update, but have not yet received any comment on this proposal.

Sorry to disappoint, and best regards,
Peter Müller

2 Likes

OK, i will wait for the next Core Update.

Hi,

just for the records: This issue was raised at yesterday’s telephone conference as well - please refer to its log for details.

Peter Müller

1 Like