Understanding how to read the Firewall logs

Hello everyone! Just started to build my own first computer firewall. So far IPFire seems really cool!

Wanted to ask if I am correct in the way that I read this…

Am I correct that 00:14:28 a machine on my network 10.0.0.11 tried to establish a HTTPS connection to someone else’s system 208.194.16.14?

I have also seen where some outside systems tried to establish a Telnet session with my public IP as well. Crazy!

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Hi Joe,

in this case the packets got dropped as “invalid” packets - So they where not matching an active TCP session (and there will and can be the case, there was also a successfull and “good” connection/packets). Details regarding connection tracking you can find on this page: wiki.ipfire.org - Firewall Options

Public connections to all possible (well known services) ports are a common thing - because there are many bots and exploit searching things out there. For some time this logs may be interesting, but on a regular base you will disable logging for blocked incoming connections to have a clean firewall log. (And in case you are looking for something to diagnose, the logging can easily be switched back on)

Wiesel

2 Likes

Hi,

for the sake of completeness, I think it is important to notice that the firewall logs as displayed in the web interface currently do not show the TCP flags of a packet (such as SYN, SYN-ACK, etc.).

Looking at the web interface, it is important to understand that it shows packets, not connections. To conclude if a packet in question belonged to a connection, and what state the connection had, the TCP flags would be helpful.

They can still be viewed by looking at /var/log/messages directly. I am still unsure if displaying them in the web interface as well would be an overkill for new users, or if the benefit of that would outweigh the disadvantages…

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like