unbound: [1617:0] error: SERVFAIL <“MYDYNDNSHOST”. A IN>: all the configured stub or forward servers failed, at zone . from 220.127.116.11 got SERVFAIL
unbound: [1617:0] error: SERVFAIL <“MYDYNDNSHOST”. A IN>: all the configured stub or forward servers failed, at zone . from 18.104.22.168 got SERVFAIL
and this always coincides with the update of the Dynamic DNS service.
But only since a certain time, why is that?
I have now deactivated IPS. I also disabled the Dynamic DNS service and restarted it. It updates again every 10-15 minutes and immediately the unbound error message appears.
Could it have something to do with the TorProxy that I recently added, I previously had only the Tor Relay running?
This is the only change I have made recently.
To come back to the dynamic DNS service, I logged on to the homepage, the last update of my IP was 18 days ago. Why is ipfire now suddenly updated every 10-15 minutes? It is enough if this happens when my IP changes, so was it before.
I got this message in the log from dynamic DNS on 21.04. The next day about 12 hours later it started with the constant updates every 10-15 minutes. What does this mean?
Dynamic DNS update for “MYDYNDNSHOST” (TwoDNS) threw an unhandled excep tion: Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packag es/ddns/system.py”, line 272, in get_address return self.__addresses[proto] KeyError: ‘ipv4’ During handling of the above exception, another exception occu rred: Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packa ges/ddns/init.py”, line 178, in update entry(force=force) File “/usr/ lib/python3.10/site-packages/ddns/providers.py”, line 157, in call elif self.has_failure or not self.requires_update: File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-p ackages/ddns/providers.py”, line 202, in requires_update if self.ip_address changed(self.protocols): File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ddns/provider s.py”, line 270, in ip_address_changed current_address = self.get_address(pr oto) File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ddns/providers.py”, line 329, in get_address return self.core.system.get_ad
a possible explanation for this would be your dynamic DNS provider started to conduct DNSSEC signing. If your IP address changes, and ddns submits that update to your DDNS provider, there might be a short period while they did update the A record of your FQDN, but did not do DNSSEC resigning.
But I did not get a new IP. As I said, the last update of the IP address on the DDNS service took place 18 days ago. I am with the provider TwoDNS, is also written in the error message I posted and shortly after that error it started with the regular updates. Before I had no updates of the DDNS service every 10-15 minutes, before that was updated only when I got a new IP.
I don’t understand this behavior and I would like to change it, because this is definitely where the fault lies, but unfortunately I don’t know what I have to do.
Yeah, that was the solution. After selecting a different DNS provider, I was able to turn Dynamic DNS on, no more constant updates and thus no more errors in the unbound log. After some time I switched back the DNS Provider and it seems to run normally again.
Thank you very much! But how do you come up with something like this?
the error came again but this time switching to other DNS servers (quad9) and back did not bring any improvement.
A successful update with the otherwise registered dnsforge DNS servers is currently no longer possible.
But now I have observed something interesting. On the android I have also entered dnsforge under the private DNS settings, when I now try to connect to my host with OpenVPN, there is no name resolution, as soon as I change the DNS server, it works, although with an IPv6 address, but it works. If I connect to my IPv4 directly it works too, btw.
I would like to continue using dnsforge as DNS because they use an excellent ad filter, but why is the name resolution not working? Did dnsforge block my host or IP?
So I have this error of unbound now permanently, no matter which DNS server I choose, earlier at least 22.214.171.124 still worked, but that now also no longer works.
Web pages build now also felt 5 times slower.
second, at the moment I have stopped all services since a week, so only a few errors are in the logs now, BUT
if i do your last command in the end and look into messages.3 for example it looks different–>
grep -i SERVFAIL /var/log/messages.3 | wc -l
and the most, only a few are different, looks like here–>
Sep 10 09:37:37 PEEP unbound: [1657:0] error: SERVFAIL <MYTwoDNSHostName.my-wan.de. A IN>: all the configured stub or forward servers failed, at zone . from 126.96.36.199 got SERVFAIL
Sep 10 09:37:48 PEEP unbound: [1657:0] error: SERVFAIL <MYTwoDNSHostName.my-wan.de. A IN>: all the configured stub or forward servers failed, at zone . from 188.8.131.52 got SERVFAIL
and at the same time I get the DDNS update massages without any update of my IP
Dynamic DNS update for MYTwoDNSHostName.my-wan.de (TwoDNS) successful
or in numbers
grep -i ddns /var/log/messages.3 | wc -l
and in webgui under services–>DDNS
the hostname of my chosen service is always red now not green like before in the main time after a successful update.
That unbound sometimes hiccups can happen, but that over days only DDNS fails and every 15 minutes an update is performed, although my IP has not changed for days and apparently the check on it also fails, I suspect that my IP has come to a block list that you can no longer reach my host via dnsforge, for whatever reason. Because on the android I could not reach the host via dnsforge using OpenVPN request to the Ipfire OpenVPN server, I assume that now once simply.