Tor does not connect

since upgrade from 163 to 164,165,166 or 167, Tor is not working anymore…

Apr 14 11:13:03 Tor[13450]: Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 5% (conn): Connecting to a relay. (Connection timed out; TIMEOUT; count 271; recommendation warn; host B127DE4BDC3CCE8564C84AD6B7A4B6449B90A4A4 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:587) 
Apr 14 11:13:03 Tor[13450]: 270 connections have failed: 
Apr 14 11:13:03 Tor[13450]:  270 connections died in state connect()ing with SSL state (No SSL object) 

Hi,

first, apologies for my tardy reply on this - ${dayjob} keeps me busy…

Second, and without any offense intended, you will have to redact things more thoroughly here, since the relay’s IP address can be concluded by its fingerprint, and there are also not too many Guard relay running on port 587.

However, your issue does not read like a general problem with IPFire’s Tor add-on, but rather with connection problems in your case. Tor picks a different Guard in such cases - unless it has been configured to use only a certain one, which is discouraged -, but that can take very long, as its timeout values are rather conservative.

Please provide a screenshot of your Tor configuration page, if this problem continues to persist.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi, yes, I had removed the IP out of habit. Since the data is ultimately visible anyway, it was actually useless. Attached is a screenshot of my Tor config, which has always worked over the years.

Regards Christian

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

That configuration looks fine indeed. My second guess would be the IPS blocking connections to the Tor network. Could you please check whether such incidents are being logged?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

That´s it! The IPS was the Problem :slight_smile: Thank you.

Regards Christian

2 Likes