TLS Handshake failed (Error in certificate)

I have been using anycast.censurfridns.dk (91.239.100.100) without any issues and a few weeks ago I started seeng an “Error” when I click “Check DNS”

All other servers are working fine DNS over TLS

I removed the server and added it again, same error.

Only thing that could have change is something I saw on the

operator’s Blog on October 4, 2020

all the servers got new ECDSA keys and certificates, which will be used for TLS instead of the RSA ones

What else could I look up for troubleshooting?

Hi,

this issue can be reproduced with the unicast instance of that provider as well:

[root@maverick ~]# kdig @89.233.43.71 +dnssec +bufsize=1232 +tls-ca=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt +tls-hostname=unicast.censurfridns.dk -d
;; DEBUG: Querying for owner(.), class(1), type(2), server(89.233.43.71), port(853), protocol(TCP)
;; DEBUG: TLS, imported 138 certificates from '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt'
;; DEBUG: TLS, received certificate hierarchy:
;; DEBUG:  #1, CN=unicast.censurfridns.dk
;; DEBUG:      SHA-256 PIN: INSZEZpDoWKiavosV2/xVT8O83vk/RRwS+LTiL+IpHs=
;; DEBUG:  #2, C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
;; DEBUG:      SHA-256 PIN: YLh1dUR9y6Kja30RrAn7JKnbQG/uEtLMkBgFF2Fuihg=
;; DEBUG: TLS, skipping certificate PIN check
;; DEBUG: TLS, The certificate is NOT trusted. The revocation or OCSP data are old and have been superseded. 
;; WARNING: TLS, handshake failed (Error in the certificate.)
;; ERROR: failed to query server 89.233.43.71@853(TCP)

Interesting to see, will dig deeper in order to find out what exactly goes wrong here…

EDIT: This looks like the certificate comes with the “OCSP must staple”-flag set, but the OCSP information provided is too old - perhaps a broken cron job at the operators’ side?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

3 Likes

Thank you will try to follow up

Hi,

it looks like this error has been fixed meanwhile by the DoT server operator. :slight_smile:

Peter Müller

1 Like

The unicast address works now but the anycast address still shows Error.

1 Like

Same error as before.

kdig @91.239.100.100 +dnssec +bufsize=1232 +tls-ca=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt +tls-hostname=anycast.censurfridns.dk -d
;; DEBUG: Querying for owner(.), class(1), type(2), server(91.239.100.100), port(853), protocol(TCP)
;; DEBUG: TLS, imported 138 certificates from '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt'
;; DEBUG: TLS, received certificate hierarchy:
;; DEBUG:  #1, CN=solido.anycast.censurfridns.dk
;; DEBUG:      SHA-256 PIN: x72/vIQoOu7mCuu1cSbeqOZNv9u+mK/2UtKjXDi0hto=
;; DEBUG:  #2, C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
;; DEBUG:      SHA-256 PIN: YLh1dUR9y6Kja30RrAn7JKnbQG/uEtLMkBgFF2Fuihg=
;; DEBUG: TLS, skipping certificate PIN check
;; DEBUG: TLS, The certificate is NOT trusted. The revocation or OCSP data are old and have been superseded. 
;; WARNING: TLS, handshake failed (Error in the certificate.)
;; ERROR: failed to query server 91.239.100.100@853(TCP)
1 Like

Yes it looks Thomas was able to fix it.

I get green OK :nauseated_face: for both Unicast and Anycast, and no erorrs.

I thought maybe I had just been too quick with my testing of the anycast option. So I have waited to the following day but on my system it still comes up showing Error against the anycast but works fine for the unicast.
I will feed it back to censurfridns but I have enough other tls based options running fine in my list.

1 Like

Hi,

since the anycast instance of this service most possibly redirects you to different systems based on the location your query comes from, it seems like some of those systems still server outdated OCSP information, while some do not.

The user experience will therefore depend on the users location… Did I mention I do not really like anycast? :slight_smile:

Peter Müller

1 Like

Just a quick update,

I got the same Error again for both Unicast and Anycast, for a few days in a row but last night I noticed that the everything is OK again.

Yes, I also found the problem coming and going.

For the anycast Peters explanation would fit. Less sure about the Unicast, that “should” stay consistent.

Anyway with the error occurring on and off, I removed Censurfridns from my list. I have not had any errors with the ones I have left running and I don’t have any Anycast ones on the list now. :slight_smile:

Hi,

indeed, it is strange to see this problem flapping on the unicast instance.

A load-balancing setup (with one broken machine behind it) would be a plausible
explanation. Anyway: Has anybody tried to contact the services’ operator on this?

If not: Is somebody volounteering to do so?

Peter Müller

Good point @pmueller,

Yes, I will contact them about this.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Before contacting censurfridns I entered both the unicast and anycast dns addresses into my dns.
Both are now showing up as OK.

I will leave them in my system and check periodically and contact censurfri if either of them come up with Error.

1 Like

Today I saw that the censurfridns unicast dns server address had an error status. Checking with dig showed it was the same OCSP issue.
I have communicated this to Thomas Rasmussen at censurfridns.

I also saw that I had an error with the Freifunk Munich DNS server. Their problem seems to be related to their certificate chain using an expired certificate. So I have also let them know about what I have found.

Maybe not coincidentially, there is something about possible problems with load balancers in the info about query name minimization: RFC 7816 - DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy

I have had feedback from Freifunk Munich. They changed their DNS Server IP address some while back. It is an anycast server. I used the new IP Address and the anycast hostname and there is no error but reverse lookup fails.

I will update the wiki page on DNS over TLS servers.

Further follow-up from Freifunk Munich.

The reason for the Reverse Lookup Failure is that due to a lot of relocations of servers recently they have not been able to maintain all PTR zones but it is on their agenda to be updated.

1 Like

Right now these servers keep showing Error for a while, it could be because of recent holidays and operators were busy with other stuff or because of new year and Certificates expired?

91.239.100.100 	DK 	anycast.censurfridns.dk 	Error 	

89.233.43.71 	DK 	unicast.censurfridns.dk 	Error