System randomly reboots

I have been running Ipfire for quite a number of years and have it on a Dell PowerEdge 860 server.

On random occasions the server will reboot and now that the whole family has been stuck in the house due to Covid19 it has been more impactful and I am looking to see what I can do to fix it.

I don’t see anything in /var/log/messages or dmesg that gives me a clue as to the cause of the reboot so was wondering if it is possible to configure the system to take a dump and then subsequently allow me to look at the dump to determine that cause of the crashes.

I don’t see kdump being available so any ideas would be helpful

thanks

Hi Jack, welcome to the community,

Hey Jack I don’t know if you already figured out the problem, but in most time the suddenly reboot of the PC is your power supply that is failing, I have been having the same problem with my gaming PC, when I am chilling out no problem but when I started playing and going to demanding place my PC would suddenly reboot, after changing the power supply no problem anny more.

Best regards

Neopegasus.

well it is a server (Dell) so don’t think it is that

thanks

Hardware fails. Happens.

Hi,

Do you have an iDrac? If so, hopefully you don’t have your idrac open to the internet?
There were flaws on the iDrac that could be attacked remotely.

HTH
Joe