Streaming Issues with Crunchyroll.com

Hopefully someone can help me figure out an issue with one of the streaming sites I use.

I currently use multiple streaming sites: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Crunchyroll.

All of these streaming sites work fine except for Crunchyroll.com. I can successfully log into crunchyroll but half of the videos will not work. I reached out to Crunchyroll support to help figure out why some of the episodes time out and refuse to stream while others work fine but they were not helpful. I have never encountered this issue with Netflix/Prime/Disney+ as every video I’ve tried on those streaming services work great.

I have tried streaming on Two different OS’s (Windows 10 & Linux Mint) as well as streaming on a PS5 which all have the same issue with the same episodes on Crunchyroll within my ipFire’s network. I did an experiment where I bypassed my ipFire Firewall and Crunchyroll worked perfectly so I am pretty convinced something in my setup/IPS is blocking some of the videos being streamed. The thing is, I do not know how to debug this and determine what is causing the issue.

I have done a bunch of searching on the internet for a solution but have yet to come across anything that would explain why I am having issues with this particular streaming site. Any ideas or is there anyone who can help teach me how to figure this out?

As a side note, I do have crunchyroll.com already whitelisted in my IPS settings but it has not fixed my issue. I am also running version 181 of ipFire and will be updating it within a day or two. This streaming issue has been going on for over a year so it has nothing to do (imo) with the current version of ipFire.

Thanks!

As an experiment I disabled my IPS and then tried streaming one of the Crunchyroll episodes that refused to work previously and it still did not work so maybe it isn’t the IPS.

Do you use the web-proxy? try disabling the web-proxy (temporarily) and see if that helps.

After a couple more hours digging into this, it turns out it was my DNS. I was using OpenDNS which from my research said it was good with Crunchyroll but my experience is that it allows less than half of the videos to work so there must be a few ip’s that it is blocking. I switched to google (8.8.8.8) and all the blocked episodes started working. I will have to reach out to OpenDNS Support and see if they can help identify what ip’s from Crunchyroll are being blocked.

1 Like