SSE2-optimised on i586 have been dropped

One question, without any malicious intent, of course.

On i586, SSE2-optimised versions of performance-critical libraries have been dropped. This affects GMP and OpenSSL, which might result in lower VPN throughput with OpenVPN on affected systems. Support for this will be removed with the next release of glibc.

What is the best time to stop updating equipment with i586?.

Is the 154 core good choice?.

In some cases we cannot change architecture and we have to stick with what we have, but I don’t want to suffer from “programmed obsolescence”, hence the question.

I know that modifying the value of the “mine” file on “/opt/pakfire/db/core/” to 200, for example, no longer updates the core, only the addons.

Regards.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it already there was a blog post at the beginning of February giving notification of EOL of i586 support in IPFire after 31st Dec 2021.

https://blog.ipfire.org/post/new-year-more-bits

The blog post gives more information about the background to that. The dropping of the SSE2-optimised libraries because they are no longer going to be supported by the next release of glibc is just another example of the challenges and impossibilities in trying to maintain i586.

I don’t think you should be looking at finding ways to be able to keep running i586 by not doing any updates, I think you should be looking at replacing your hardware to x86_64. The EOL notification gives the time to do that.

3 Likes

As soon as possible.

You will by the end of the year. As Adolf said, it is getting harder and harder and we do not have many people running 32 bit hardware anymore. It is not economical and 64 bit hardware is cheap, more secure and usually a lot faster.

3 Likes