Squid and Browser Proxy

A Basic Question. ipfire 147. Should the Computer Networking Proxy be used with Squid or is Squid enough?
SQUID

NETWORKING

The question is should Networking Proxy be enabled? Should it reflect Port 800 or 3128?

Hi,

A Basic Question. ipfire 147. Should the Computer Networking Proxy be used with Squid or is Squid enough?

I am sorry, but I did not get the difference between your first screenshot and the second one. :expressionless:

The question is should Networking Proxy be enabled? Should it reflect Port 800 or 3128?

Port 800, since port 3128 is only used for transparently intercepting HTTP connections, according to the screenshot(s) you provided.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

That was an error. After sending, did not see the image and sent it again.
You’re right about no difference…
In other words, Squid only works if the Browser is configured to the Proxy IP:800?

For HTTPS, yes.

The image shows I’ve HTTP and HTTPS enabled at :800. Is only HTTPS required?

Hi,

no, both of them are required. However, accessing HTTPS sites through IPFire’s proxy server only works in non-transparent mode, hence using the “proxy port” (800 in your case) is necessary.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Good Luck with this settings :wink: (screenshot)

I cant believe thats all this guy postings are only accidents…

Thanks Peter. Making the whole clearer. Regarding the Firewall settings, to use Squid for DNS, version number two looks Like this?

I reversed the order. HTTP remains checked. But HTTPS checked lost the internet. Perhaps I’ve misinterpreted the configuration. What I tried to do was: 2. Block all DNS traffic except through IPFire’s DNS proxy
Page with Instructions: https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/firewall/dns

Only option 2. Block all DNS traffic except through IPFire’s DNS proxy (below) works.

Tulpenknicker

I don’t understand your response. Please explain.

When the instructions say: * Configure IPFire as the DNS server in the DHCP configuration (for clients with dynamic and fixed leases) is that a reference for BLUE (Wireless) to use the Blue Wireless settings or the Brown Internet settings:

When I enable the browser proxy for HTTPS :800 the Domain Name System Status is Broken. What is the mistake? The Firewall or the DHCP configuration?