Slow phase: "Bringing up the loopback interfaces" at bootup

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to improve the extended wait that appears at this stage? I often have to wait 10 minutes or so for the boot-up scripts to navigate past this stage. The delay is almost unacceptable.

Regards,

FF

Logs would help troubleshoot
Kernel
dmesg
output from terminal : ip a

I need to re-raise this issue as it is of concern now.

HyperV v1 Hardware. Profile ID: a8e8670f27b30162480bd356fefcae69ea987d7c

146Mb of log… just in the messages file. It is well and good to say:

Logs would help troubleshoot

dmesg and ip a not relevant in this instance as it is clearly systematic. I have basically been running ipfire since its inception (so no newbies here).

But in what form and how do you suggest that useful information be presented?

In the script that brings up the local host loopback interface the command before the “Bringing up the loopback Interface…” message is copying

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

into /etc/hosts then there are only three commands after the message before it moves to the “Setting hostname to” message.

Those commands are:-

ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo
ip link set lo up
evaluate_retval

As the loopback interface is a virtual networking interface I am not sure if a problem with your networking hardware would cause any of these commands to take 10 minutes.

Can you confirm that if you run ip addr on its own that you get a lo entry
Mine is

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

That would confirm that it did finally succeed in bringing up the loopback interface.

I assume it is the azure initskript but if i remeber correctly this bug should fixed in core156.

https://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=commit;h=5b17fea8e746cb9c71d49af918e6baabbc9b7aa9

1 Like