Single session max 1GB - on 10GB link

Hi

We have 10GB internet, but a single session seems to be limited to 1GB. If I test from ipfire and do wget, and each wget is maxed at about 1GB

Upload seems much higher

Can this be fixed?

Thanks
Felix

Do you have 10Gbs ports on each hop from where you are doing the testing to the Internet?

Eg does the PC / Server / Laptop where you are running the “get” have a 10Gbs NIC ?

Yes all links are 10G :smile:

ipfire cli :

“iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -P 1”

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 2.01 GBytes 1.72 Gbits/sec 0 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.04 sec 2.00 GBytes 1.71 Gbits/sec receiver

“iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -P 10”
[SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 8.85 GBytes 7.61 Gbits/sec 1001 sender
[SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 8.76 GBytes 7.52 Gbits/sec receiver

from LAN side:

“iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -P 1”

[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.94 GBytes 1.67 Gbits/sec 13 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.01 sec 1.94 GBytes 1.67 Gbits/sec receiver

“iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -P 10”

[SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 9.90 GBytes 8.50 Gbits/sec 121 sender
[SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 9.88 GBytes 8.48 Gbits/sec receiver

Wow… that is quick!

Just throwing ideas in the ring here… could QOS be throttling?

R

No QOS has been enabled

159 has just been released maybe upgrade and test again.

Other than that I’m out of ideas.

Thanks, I doubt that will change anything, but will try it when avaliable :slight_smile:

I think it’s the cpu the bottle neck. Have a look at this thread: 1Gbps Internet for home use with IPS and VPN?

If you search this forum with “single thread” I believe you will find similar discussions.

Thanks let me check up on that, but server if a beefy one with dual CPU and lots of cores

Felix

Have you enabled IPS in WUI Firewall–> Intrusion Prevention ?

Hi

No Intrusion Prevention enabled, default ISO installation with a few firewall rules

Check also this thread: Routing using only one core on Download you might want to check if all the cores of your cpu are used.

load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00 when downloading via eget - get 94MB pr. sec and can run multiple in parallel and they all get about the same speed?

That might still be irrelevant. If only one core can talk to the network card, then there is no parallelisation. It is a classic problem with loads of hardware that is either cheap, or has broken firmware.

You can check by having a look at /proc/interrupts.

Generally IPFire can easily transfer 10 GBit/s if hardware permits. Even with an Intel Atom processor this is possible.

2 Likes

This can also seen from the iperf3 results.
If you use 10 parallell streams, you get rates near by your nominal rate.

Here is my interrupts list, and looks good I would say?

ipfire-interrupts.txt.zip (3.4 KB)

Ok I installed nginx on ipfire and downloaded a 10GB file with wget and get 1.04GB/s so hardware on LAN side should be good right? - WAN is running over SFP+ and LAN over BASE-T

Thanks

Yes, this is a broken setup. All interrupts are handled on the first processor. The other 31 cores are idle.

So it is hardware issue and not a software issue.

3 Likes

Really ok, so is it CPU/motherboard or Network cards you think?

Thanks

LAN test with nginx I got full speed on the wget, so could it be related to the SPF nic only?