Setting up a VPN with IPFire and a NanoPi R2S

Hi,
I have been trying to setup a NanoPi R2S to connect to IPF using net to net. I have used IPF to IPF with success but im having a bit of a problem with a NanoPi R2S. The client export files import ok, im using the PKCS12, file but i cant get the unit to connect correctly. I have checked the logs on the Nano and it reports that it has issues with TTL. Im not sure how to setup the firewall on the NANO and have watched a video where someone added a new adaptor for the VPN on the Nano and made a rule for the traffic but i follows the video but it froze the Nano.

The other option is to use Roadwarrior but i have no way of entering a username or password. I have read some details about using -auth-user-pass but not sure what conf file to use this in.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

Hi,

could you please post the raw logs here?

Im not sure how to setup the firewall on the NANO and have watched a video where someone added a new adaptor for the VPN on the Nano and made a rule for the traffic but i follows the video but it froze the Nano.

Which video was that? Does it have any relationship to IPFire?

The other option is to use Roadwarrior but i have no way of entering a username or password. I have read some details about using -auth-user-pass but not sure what conf file to use this in.

This sounds like you did not read the OpenVPN documentation in the IPFire wiki. Please do so and come back again if things are still unclear.

To my knowledge, OpenVPN functionality does not depend on your hardware (except for very slow systems, of course, but those will most likely be unable to run IPFire anyway). If it does not work on your NanoPi, it most probably won’t work on x86 machines, either.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

Since I have little idea what exactly you problem is, no. At least, not at the moment. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

One question. Works IPFire with this hardware?.

According to this table, no.

imagen
https://wiki.ipfire.org/hardware/arm

If this table is incorrect, can someone update it?

I have a feeling that the wiki content is very outdated. (constructive criticism)

Cheers

At my knowledge IPFire will not work on the R2S. We have no bootloader for the Rockchip SoC.

Thank you for your reply’s but I think i have not explained myself well. I know that you cannot run IPF on a R2S but i have tried :slight_smile: however the R2S already has good support for running OPENVPN as a server and a client. The issue i want to try and resolve is the settings to use if i use either road warrior, where normally on a client you would be asked for a username and a password, or net to net. As the R2S runs Linux i was wondering if anyone knows the conf file and command to allow a username and password to be given to a system in the conf file as there is no cli or input method to use using the R2S. I believe its -auth-user-pass…?

My other question is if anyone has successfully used OPENVPN as a client on the R2S and connected it to IPF? The level of settings and options on the R2S is vast and i have an ok level of knowledge on setting up VPN’s. I willing to learn but just wanted a kick start and appreciate this forum doesn’t deal directly with R2S units.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

just to make sure I understand your problem: Are you running IPFire on that NanoPi R2S or something else?

Peter Müller

Im using Friendlywrt V5.4 image as the OS on the R2S which comes with OPENVPN support. I have read the IPF OPENVPN WIKI but i believe that is for IPF to IPF. I’m trying to connect net to net using IPF to a OPENVPN client which is contained in the R2S (similar to a Raspberry PI i guess)

Hi,

I have read the IPF OPENVPN WIKI but i believe that is for IPF to IPF.

Yes. Please refer to the documentation provided by OpenVPN itself and/or ask this question in their forum.

Peter Müller

Do you mean the u-boot needed to boot into the device?
Rk3328 have good support in uboot so it is not too hard to build a uboot for it.

Currently I only have Radxa RockPiE which is the same SOC except that it have 1x 1Gb and 1x100mb lan, while NanoPi R2s have 2 x 1Gb lan where in the second lan is running over usb2lan conversion.

Is there any arm specific team who is working on arm specific devices?
Is it fixed that IPFire is only running on Kernel 4.19 or the latest mainline kernel will do ?
Like 5.4 LTS ?

Hi,

Is there any arm specific team who is working on arm specific devices?

No. For less than 2% of the IPFire systems reporting back to Fireinfo, a dedicated team would be too much - besides we do not have enough manpower anyway…

Is it fixed that IPFire is only running on Kernel 4.19 or the latest mainline kernel will do ?

IPFire 2.x is currently running on kernel 4.14 - at the moment, there are no concrete plans to upgrade to a newer kernel, but we are aware of this topic.

Peter Müller

Hi,

I am now closing this topic, as it is not related to IPFire after all (the NanoPi mentioned in the first place is running a different Linux distribution, and the question should be asked at the OpenVPN forum).

Please open up a new thread for follow-up questions, but try to be precise and IPFire-related. :slight_smile: Feel free to message the moderators if you feel this is inappropriate.

Peter Müller