Screen rewrite scans slow. causes a very noticeable flash/flicker

While I can live with the slightly comic book look of the new interface (including a background which violates a prime UI rule of “never use red for anything but !Danger!”), what really annoys is the slow screen refresh.

The screen rewrite scans so slow that it causes a very noticeable flash/flicker. I assume this is a bug since I haven’t seen this on a PC since the days of CGA graphics. :wink:

I am using the small 4-port Ipfire mini appliance box.

Hopefully it will be addressed soon. In the meantime, I’ll not keep that web page on-screen unless necessary.

As a nit-picky side note, including the word “graph” in the titles of all the graphs is a bit redundant? We can clearly see that they are graphs.
:smiley:

Functionally, Ipfire is the best. I would not use or trust any other firewall. Thanks for a great product. I will continue to occasionally donate to the cause.

1 Like

I have not noticed this (I have the same box)

Please add more details:

• Is it lots of WebGUI pages?
  • If you go through the various menus Status > System and Status > Memory, etc. do you see “high” usage on the graphs?
    • if yes, please post a screenshot
  • What version on you using? Did you see any slowdown with earlier versions?
  • Have you tried a different browser? or does the same thing happen on all browsers?

The slow refresh only happens on the System → Home page.

Memory usage average is ~6.0 %.

Version is: IPFire 2.29 (x86_64) - Core-Update 184

The behavior is the same on current versions of both Chrome and Firefox
running on updated Fedora 39.

Hi David, Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I normally use Safari so I switched to Firefox ESR and have been using FF to access various IPFire WebGUI screens for the past few days.

I definitely see the flicker you mentioned. And I see it on FireFox and on Safari. The screen looks like it refreshes & repaints every ~30 seconds and that causes the flicker. I never noticed it before since I do not normally sit on the Home page.

I am not sure why the Home page needs to be refreshed. I’d guess the refresh is done to update the Status > Connected - (8d 20h 18m 52s) info. But that is a guess.

I do not see the slow rewrite. Can you provide any additional details?

I am using the standard Firefox and I don’t see trhe flicker or the slow rewrite at all on any of my systems - 3 vm and 1 physical.

I only used the term /rewrite/ in the sense that the web page is being
rewritten about every 30 seconds and is slow enough that it causes the
noticeable flicker. So… rewrite == flicker in this context. I
probably should have used /refresh/ instead.