Restore from Iso File

Hi,
I made a backup-iso File from my ipfire on an apu board. The board boots from an usb and no SDD was inside the box.
I want to change that to an SSD boot.
for fallback i made a normal backup of the config files, too.

After that i removed the usb boot stick and inserted an SSD in the apu.

I booted from the iso file with an external USB to DVD drive. Everything fine.
problem: i only found to do an normal installation with that file. No config file where found.
How can i recover with an iso boot?

Recovery of the config file from the backup worked, but ipfire gives me no “done” message etc…

thanks.

Hello @asterix, welcome to our community.

Your issue with the ISO image involves the backup.ipf file, which is crucial for restoring your settings. This file should be located in the root directory of your ISO image. Can you confirm if backup.ipf is present there? According to the backup script’s code, the ISO would only be created if the backup process was successfully completed first. Here’s the relevant part of the script from the IPFire GitHub repository:

iso)
                        # Desired backup filename
                        local filename="/var/ipfire/backup/${NOW}.ipf"

if make_backup "${filename}"; then
                                /usr/local/bin/backupiso "${NOW}"
                        fi
                        ;;

Based on this, the backup.ipf archive, containing all necessary settings for restoration, should indeed be included in your ISO.

1 Like

Just found

Backup von ipfire-2.27-core182-x86_64-2024-01-07-22:27.iso Größe 408.00 MB
Backup von ipfire-2.27-core182-x86_64.iso Größe 406.00 MB

I took the last one, because i tought it was the newer one. Looks like one i without config and one with included config?

It appears that the ISO file creation process might not have been fully completed, as the original ISO image should have been deleted during the script’s cleanup phase. There’s a possibility that the script didn’t finish executing, either because it was interrupted or due to some other issue. In this case, the correct ISO file to use for your installation should be ipfire-2.27-core182-x86_64-2024-01-07-22:27.iso, as it includes the timestamp indicating it’s the remastered version with your backup.

EDIT: This is the relevant part of the documentation warning the users how to avoid this kind of issues:

Attention: Download the ISO-file only if the size is no longer changing, and then refresh the browser view. Use internal IPFire Menu to actualize browser view in order to preserve unexpected backup-behaviors such as multiple Backup files. If the ISO file will be downloaded too early, it is not yet complete and therefore not installable!

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Learning every day a bit of ipfire after switching from FLI4l a few weeks ago.

1 Like

FYI - there should be three files created after clicking Generate ISO

And as @cfusco mentioned, it can go bad if interrupted or due to some other issue

1 Like

I find it easier to do new install.
Then restore backup.
This way you can setup your network card assignment.
If hard ware changes nic assignment
Will not be correct. With the larger “full restore iso”
So having notes on nic assignment
Or screen shots. I find to be just as good or better. Setup of fresh install takes little time.
As a side note. If you drastically change hardware like cpu. There is additional steps to
Fix them.

1 Like

I wrongly assumed the script would remove the original ISO in the clean up phase. I should have read the code a bit more carefully (I never used so far this method). Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

@hvacguy I am a big fan of analog backups (also know as hand-written notes). The trade off is that the restore process is time-consuming, however the note-taking part is not that much more work if written right away.

1 Like