Request for clarification with IPS Talos license

Hi,
I am a grateful and happy home user of IPFire and trying to learn about using IPS.

On:

Under:
Home Use
It says:

The Emerging Threats Community Ruleset is probably sufficient, but you could use the Talos ruleset for registered users. A policy of Balanced-between-Security-and-Connectivity is probably sufficient. If you volunteer for a charity or similar and as a consequence keep either personal or financial information on your home network, you should consider the Talos ruleset for users with subscription, but you should be eligible for the personal use licence, which is much cheaper.

My questions re:

If you volunteer for a charity or similar and as a consequence keep either personal or financial information on your home network, you should consider the Talos ruleset for users with subscription, but you should be eligible for the personal use licence, which is much cheaper.

1. I don’t understand why a person who volunteers for a charity is mentioned in this paragraph. In other words, I dont understand how a person who volunteers for a charity would be different than a typical home user who does not volunteer. Most people, volunteer or not, would have their own and maybe other people’s (eg an accountant or any home based business) financial or personal info on their home computer.

2. I dont understand why a person who volunteers for a charity would necessarily have any more personal or financial information on a network than a person who does not volunteer for a charity. Many if not most volunteer positions do not require a person to take on additional financial or personal information and they did, it would not necessarily be on their own home computer, but on the charity’s computer.

3. I don’t understand how personal or financial information is kept on a home network. To me, information is transmitted thru a network, not kept on it.

4. This section implies to me that if financial or personal info is kept by a user, then particular rulesets should be used. This implies to me that other certain rule sets somehow are privacy invading, that they will somehow transmit personal or financial data to some third party, and this is a security risk. Is this the point of this paragraph?

I imagine thought that any ruleset should not be privacy invading…

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

I hope my questions don’t sound blunt, I honestly do not understand these points and not sure how to ask in a less blunt way :slight_smile:

Thank you ahead of time.

PS if this documentation should be edited or re-written, I would be happy to do so (I’m a retired professor and have had some experience writing documentation) but first I need to know how things worrk.

I don’t know the answer to the above questions and I can only guess.

The above quote isn’t IPFire-ish (no policy or guideline, etc.). So it was probably copied from a Talos license (my guess). Maybe Talos made changes to their licensing since 2019. I am not sure.

Feel free to make the needed changes! If you have any questions I’d be happy to help!

1 Like

@jon,
Hi thanks for responding.
It makes sense that was copied from somewhere else - so that is helpful.

I think the example of being a volunteer for a charity does not make sense for this page. Would you agree with that? If so, I will start the edit by modifying this.

sounds good!

Also, I saw the changes to the IPFire Wiki Rulesets page:
https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/firewall/ips/rulesets?action=diff&a=2020-11-18T15:08:51.120305&b=2022-05-21T11:13:15.123472

Keep in mind the Wiki uses MarkDown and adding an extra line does not provide the line spacing you want.

There are lots of MarkDown tutorials available on the internet.

@jon:
Thanks for your input and the explanation of markdown - according to markdown tutorials the best way to put in a blank line is to use
but the IPFire markdown ref page says no html so I will not do this.

1 Like

@jon,
I made some changes, let me know what you think.
I think it could still be improved further, but this is step 1.

:+1:

You may want to read through the Licensing just to make sure the changes and the other paragraphs are current (and correct!).

For what it is worth you don’t need to check in with me to make changes. The Wiki is set-up for all IPFire users to add and update.

@jon,
Thanks for your suggestions about the checking the licensing, etc - I will do that when I have a chance.
I wont check with you further about changes but thanks for your responses, they helped me get started.

1 Like