Replace speedtest-cli with speedtest++ For Better Accuracy

I would say probably other priorities… Security come first.

No, its not a high priority, but that’s what I was just asking for was an escalation to get that added to the to do list. I’m not sure who handles adding those type of things.

Eric

Information about adding bugs can be found here: wiki.ipfire.org - Bugzilla

In reply 8 in this thread, Michael ran a speedtest on a computer setup in Ireland and got an upload of over 900Mbits/s. This would suggest that the program is not the limiter but something else. I think we need to understand the reason for this difference before removing one add-on and installing another.

I have also run both speedtest and speedtest++ on my network and got very similar results between the two of them. My upload is limited to around 25Mbits/s currently using a cable connection so doesn’t add much to the data. Glass fibre is being laid in my town currently so in a few months I will have a Gigabit connection for both down and upload so can investigate further then.

Adolf, did you go allllll the way back to the original post? I am not the only one in the world seeing issues lol

I have been following this thread since it was started. So, yes I saw the earlier links and read them. Yes I saw there were other people reporting problems but there have also been people reporting no problems. That’s why I believe that there is an interaction between the program and other things influencing the results.

To enable you to get this package as an add-on, an option you have is to build it yourself and install it as a local add-on for your system(s) alone. The wiki has information on how to do this.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/devel/ipfire-2-x/addon-howto

After building and installing it as a local add-on you could also decide to create and submit a patch to the IPFire developer community where, if accepted, it would become part of the distribution.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/devel/submit-patches

5 Likes

Amazing Adolf,

If I can do this myself, heck yea!.. I would do it in a minute and send up for patchwork.

I appreciate it. I will read up on that.

Eric

I’m on core 155, installed the latest speedtest via pakfire but get errors when running it …

[root@ipfire ~]# speedtest --version
speedtest-cli 2.1.2
Python 3.8.7 (default, Mar 26 2021, 14:28:13) [GCC 10.2.0]

[root@ipfire ~]# speedtest
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/speedtest", line 11, in <module>
        load_entry_point('speedtest-cli==2.1.2', 'console_scripts', 'speedtest')()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/speedtest.py", line 1986, in main
        shell()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/speedtest.py", line 1872, in shell
        speedtest = Speedtest(
      File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/speedtest.py", line 1091, in __init__
        self.get_config()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/speedtest.py", line 1173, in get_config
        ignore_servers = list(
    ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

[root@ipfire ~]#

Already fixed with a patch to upgrade to a newer version in Core Update 156

https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12602

2 Likes