RED to Green - none of the Web Pages, SSH, or SFTP seem to work

Okay. So the alias 192.168.111.15 “corresponds to a DNS” like name.domain.com
Users then type (remotely) name.domain.com which points to 192.168.111.15
Right?
Gradually I understand better and better.

I study if I can simulate this condition.
I don’t know if it is possible to do something “locally” to recreate your situation. If I can I will update you :wink:.

Sorry to say this, but have you tried remotely typing in your public IP instead of DNS? Just to try it out. My guess is that typing the IP instead of the DNS should work, as I understand. Right?

In my example:
type 192.168.111.15 instead of name.domain.com
and tell me if it works.

If you have any reverse proxies try to set some exceptions in your network if possible.

I just need this evidence to understand.

No Reverse proxies. My test is 5 Raspberry pi 3Bs, Using 2 for webpages. One as a DNS.

One for the outside computer getting in. I have 2 intel Atom computers for IPFire. One with 169 on it for working setup. The other Rebuild and restore, Rebuild and hand key to test the newer 175.

Now if I get it to work, Yes, Using the IP of the webpage works. URL name.domain.com did not.

I have 2 webpages setup on one Raspberry pi. Using Apache to derect the URL to the correct page. The is to test the the URL is being passed thought the firewall 169 it is. 175 not working.

Here is the problem the internet would not be the same network to the test may not simulate the intenet the same way. But the fire wall should interreact the same.

IRL, I have limited time to replace the firewall and not make many upset that they cannot do the shopping LOL, So, I come in early and only a few call as ask Mail not working? I let them know I am working on the problem and should have it back in 10 mins.

1 Like

Okay. I think I got it right this time.

Since up to 169 works for you, it makes me think of a BUG present from 170 and subsequent but, at the same time, it seems strange to me that other users haven’t noticed it :thinking:. I have only one public IP (with router nat), I am not a developer and can’t do anything else but, I will continue to follow this topic. I trust the users who, like you, have had the same problem. In the meantime, I will try to try to recreate your sitaution in my local network, no promises, because I may fail to do so. I will update you with any news :wink:.

Perhaps really there is this to consider :thinking:.

However, I know him little. I don’t know if it also “filters domains” in this case. need to look into it :thinking:.

There are several topics on the IPFire forum about this.

e.g.

Below is a sample reading.

edit

Best

2 Likes

I sincerely thank you for the links sent. I already had a quick look at them, but I plan to study them well :wink:.

1 Like

Well, Tested 179, Failed. Going out works fine. but fails to find the websites and mail server. Mail is on the orange DMZ. It like the firewall is not setup for in coming trafic. but it is setup. Clean install hand keyed, or Install 169 , restore and update to 179 every step past 169 fails. Been a long time working on this off and on. Time to move on. Giving up on this.

Yes, I had said I would try to recreate your situation locally, but I couldn’t do it and waited for someone to respond. I think I understand your problem correctly: remotely (from 170) you can’t access your local servers using the FQDN associated with one of your public IPs. Everything works for you if you instead (remotely) use your public IP directly. I continue to be of the opinion that there is a problem from version 170 on down, but I have no way of ascertaining that. And likewise, it seems strange to me that no one noticed if that was the case.

I once worked in a school where the ISP provided “a network like yours.” It’s a special condition. Normally ISPs provide a natted modem (like mine). In this case the test cannot be done.

Public IPs should be assigned directly to IPFire’s RED (or directly to a PC, LAN card). This was the condition that the ISP provided to my school where I worked. Under this condition you should do your testing.

Is this setup?
Is this the missing link?

One thing that Aliases does not make clear. PER above user saying. 2 or 300 lines above. The Name of the Alias needs to be a URL as the web site is. I found that the user above 2 or 300 lines above was mistaken. Just a description. But the Cert not able to pass though the firewall. I note that the IP address hand keying does not work. You are forced into using the Aliases to get the IP into the NAT. and if you read above my setting. 169 still works fine. Getting a bit old. I do not know what changed in 170-179. I have asked if setup changed and dug into googling the hack out of it. Read and reRead all the docs on setting up for /27 ISP. But no one has any answers yet. seems everyone with a /32 have no problems but again I have said that in the above too. Works fine if pointing a ports with 1 IP. but not Ports and IPs.

Would you not need a service like Cloud flare to manage your URL with the specific ip?

The test today, Same hardware setup as the running system. Setup 179, ping from IPFire, All my servers, All My Orange Servers, and Googles DNS. All good. Remote into IPFire UI all good. Checked Firewall one more time. Settings looked good. Get out to the internet was fine. Using GeoPeeker to test the outside. test one check URL of web page. Found IP, No Render of the page. From my phone no page ever comes up. Changed Source from ANY to RED redid the test. Ended the same. Gmail to my Mail server, Sent an email from my Server to gmail. NOTHING. Rebooted IPFire retested same as above. Moved everything back to my Old server hardware 169. Scare me nothing worked, I rebooted and everything started working. Got the mail. both ends. Webpage up from phone and Geopeeker. Users started calling that the internet was down. So I ended the testing.

Still have not found what changed so I can change to the changes. I have tried most everything. Start with a clean system, Got diffrent systems, Made sure drivers work with IPFire. Tried USB NICs, but all the hardware does the same thing will not diplay a webpage, Mail, SSH, SFTP. HTTPS, HTTP nothing works. and I get the same try this. and even I am repeating over and over I did that.

I am not convinced that the problem is only related to Aliases. In a previous post of mine, you can see that I tried it and it seems that the alias works perfectly (as @dean8 also seems to have confirmed). Other ideas at the moment I have none :unamused:.

Perhaps a missed step?

SNAT rule is on the orange for the mail server. No DHCP on the ISP, All is hand keyed per ISP setting. Test DNS pass. All out going traffic works fine. I would think the DNS is good. As Above I put SNAT rules on RED and was questioned why I would do that. It was just a test to see if anything changed. and it did not. I was missing for months here. Only because I was not getting anything new. Also seems no one who is running a /27 say they have it working. Making me believe most are running a single IP firewall that works well. or Just running it for a proxy not hosting anything. or just one page.

Alias? but not Hosts. Host seems to make naming servers easy but not needed. I hard key all the hosts with IPs. Mostly a habbit. But is it now required to make things work? Hard to tell. in 169 it works ether way. I ping the servers local IPs so I know most of them.

Now if your talking my DNS settings. So the internet can find my servers. I would think it working in 169. all would be good with the DNS settings. That I do not host here, I did at one time years ago.

https://blog.ipfire.org/search?q=170

Note

Support for assigning aliases to multiple RED interfaces has been added.

Perhaps?
Is this possibly the update that changed something?

1 Like