Question about the firewall diagram in the network tap

Hello everyone,

as I am getting more and more into the IPFire I just have a small question about the firewall diagramm in the network tap as seen in the following picture:

Is the violet data (FORWARD) the summary of the complete hits on the FORWARD chain in the firewall (including REJECT_FORWARD/DROP_FORWARD) or just the actual forwarded packets through the whole chain (so just FORWARDFW)?!

I know its a very basic question and I suspect that it to be the complete hits (including rejects) but because I couldnt find a satisfying answer I wanted to ask directly :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Andreas

As the header says, this are the hits in the firewall ( drops/rejects ).

1 Like

Hi,

As the header says, this are the hits in the firewall ( drops/rejects ).

sorry for being a bit picky here, but for the sake of completeness, it has to be mentioned that IPFire 2.x currently rate-limits log messages in case of rejected or dropped packets to 10 per second per firewall category (snipped taken from the output of iptables -L -n -v):

Chain POLICYFWD (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
  236 15504 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            limit: avg 10/sec burst 5 LOG flags 0 level 4 prefix "DROP_FORWARD "
  236 15504 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            /* DROP_FORWARD */

Depending on how much firewall hits you get per second, those numbers might not be tell the whole truth. This is because an attacker might induce a DoS to the local filesystem by sending many, many packets subsequently dropped/rejected and logged.

In IPFire 3.x, there will be a better solution to this problem. Unfortunately, we are by far not there yet. :expressionless:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Ok. My answer wasn’t exactly enough. But it answered the question about rejects/drops or general packet logging. :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

no matter, I just thought about adding this circumstance, in case @imbio stats wondering himself why there is a delta between the amount of packets dropped on the interface and displayed in the firewall log CGI. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hey bbitsch and pmueller,

thank you, very much, for your replies :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Andreas