I’m not completely new, but unfortunately I don’t have access to my old account anymore. Hence a new account. I have used ipcop back in about 2004, moved to ipfire about 2009 I think… Usually I could solve my issues with the help of the forum and stayed silent.
However the last update I ran caused some issues…
I was behind with updating a bit due to not having the freedom to just randomly restart (work from home and so) and then forgetting again. So it was probably 2 or 3 updates combined.
After the update I could not access the gui anymore. I found a solution in the forum by chmod-ing several folders
chmod -v 755 /usr /usr/bin /usr/lib /usr/sbin /var /var/ipfire
That brought the gui back.
However I notice now some more issues. The strange thing is that it internet browsing in general seems to work. But when I noticed that the timeserver seems not being able to update I noticed that name resolving is not working properly.
If I run
[root@ipcoffin bin]# dig pool.ntp.org ; <<>> DiG 9.11.32 <<>> pool.ntp.org ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
[root@ipcoffin bin]# dig @220.127.116.11 pool.ntp.org ; <<>> DiG 9.11.32 <<>> @18.104.22.168 pool.ntp.org ; (1 server found) ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 38101 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;pool.ntp.org. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: pool.ntp.org. 14 IN A 22.214.171.124 pool.ntp.org. 14 IN A 126.96.36.199 pool.ntp.org. 14 IN A 188.8.131.52 pool.ntp.org. 14 IN A 184.108.40.206 ;; Query time: 3 msec ;; SERVER: 220.127.116.11#53(18.104.22.168) ;; WHEN: Wed Aug 25 12:37:23 CEST 2021 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 105
seems to do just fine.
In my DNS settings I have 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 set as well. So dig should use them if nothing specified I assume.
But why is browsing the internet working just fine
I just noticed during writing this post, that the gui has some issues with graphs
Not sure what else is going wrong currently.
Due to the name resolving issue I can also not install updates etc.
[root@ipcoffin bin]# pakfire update Giving up: There was no chance to get the file "2.27-x86_64/lists/server-list.db" from any available server. There was an error on the way. Please fix it. Giving up: There was no chance to get the file "lists/packages_list.db" from any available server. There was an error on the way. Please fix it. Giving up: There was no chance to get the file "lists/core-list.db" from any available server. There was an error on the way. Please fix it. [root@ipcoffin bin]#
Sorry if it seems a bit chaotic, as I am not sure what information will help solving the issue.