Problem with FOS CAM R2 will not send a notification eMail anymore

Hi Everybody,

sorry, Forget to tell in english, therefore I have translate the post again.

I have the Problem with all my FOS CAM R2 cameras, which are now do not send a
notification email during Alarm state because of Problems with the TLS certificate.

I have already installed the latest Firmware including the last two Patches on the cameras, but
the Problem is still existing.

I also tried several email Provider with the same result.
The support of the FOS CAM told me, that it s not a Problem of the camera. It will be a Problem
of the SMTP Settings. I should update to the latest Settings of the Provider.

The Settings in the camera are already the latest Settings, which are also working fine in Thunderbird and also recomment from the Provider.

Does somebody has a fix for this.

Best regards
R.
P.S.: Sorry for the german.

Arne already told you.

Maybe you have forgotton or not complete understand? Read the FAQ and respect it please. Thank you.

https://community.ipfire.org/faq

Please post in English only. We want to be as inclusive as possible to people from everywhere in the world and the de-facto language in Open Source projects is English.

1 Like

Post updated.

Best regards
R.

On the first view i cant see what this have to do with IPF. Anyway i have here some questions.

• Have any other device on the same network as your Foscam with the same mail settings access to Internet?
  • What is the exact message?
  • In your Foscam, what SMTP server you use?
  • What SMTP Port?
  • What TLS setting?
  • Any Logs in IPF?

Have any other device on the same network as your Foscam with the same mail settings access to Internet?
Yes, Android mobiles which are also using the same settings

What is the exact message?
“TLS certificate verification failed: unable to get local issuer certificate”

In your Foscam, what SMTP server you use?

GMX SMTP.: mail.gmx.net

What SMTP Port?

What TLS setting?

STARTTLS, Password normal

Any Logs in IPF?

Nothing.

Foscam have correct date/time?

If yes you are maybe lost because

So that seems your root certs are not valid anymore/change

On your Browser / Android that happens automatic but here you need a firmware. So if this is to old you dont get new certs. You can try some legacy SSL setting instead TLS and change the port to 465. Of course you can pray a little :wink:

Good luck

As i said before sounds not any IPF related

Maybe anyone else have some ideas…?

Hi,

this does not seem to be related to IPFire: If your client system (i. e. the webcam) is able to establish a TCP connection to your provider’s mail server, IPFire is not interfering anymore.

Could you try mail delivery by using SMTP debugging tools like swaks and post the results here please?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

Hi,

it is almost a problem of the CAM and I thought somebody is also using FOS CAM’s and knows a solution. All other client in the network are working well with the SMTP settings.
What is swaks ? Is it add on for ipfire ?
Best regards
R.

Hi,

it is almost a problem of the CAM and I thought somebody is also using FOS CAM’s and knows a solution.

please ask such questions at the FOS CAM forum instead.

All other client in the network are working well with the SMTP settings.

Well, the problem is not related to IPFire then.

What is swaks ? Is it add on for ipfire ?

Please refer to its homepage for further information. As of today, it is not available as an add-on for IPFire. However, it is available as a package for most popular Linux distributions.

Peter MĂĽller

1 Like

Hi all,

I found the problem.
Most of the Provider will no longer support the TLS protocol. Only gmail can configure with “less securty” and a app password to get job to work.

In addition, you have to test, if you eMail provide will block emails from you camera, because they looks like spam.

Best regards
R.

Hi,

I doubt it. Mail providers are more and more switching to implicit TLS and phase out explicit TLS by using STARTTLS (see RFC 8314 for further information on this) - you never want do send any kind of credentials through the internet in clear text.

With regards to your description of those cameras, I am not surprised… :expressionless:

Peter MĂĽller

@ritchie
Thanks for confirming that it has nothing to do with IPF :wink: