Ports forwarding is trying to work, I think

I am trying to set a few services and games behind IPFire on my home network. I am not having much luck with port forwarding though. It looks like it’s trying to work but I am not sure what is going on.

Let’s take a simple example. The game Valheim uses UDP ports 2456 and 2457. I followed the wiki page on port forwarding to set up a firewall rule and applied it, but I am unable to connect to my internal server from the outside (Red). I can connect to it from the inside (Green). The server the game is running on has no firewall right now because I am trying to figure out to make this work. When I try to connect via my external (Red) IP address I see this in the firewall log:

07:29:56 	DNAT 	green0 	UDP 	192.168.10.61
*REDACTED IP* 	61057

Which is then followed several instances of this:

07:29:56 	FORWARDFW 	green0 	UDP 	192.168.10.61
192.168.10.2 	61057

However the game fails to connect to the server. I see this same behavior with other games and services including Nextcloud. Not having my Nextcloud is a real show stopper. Any advice would be appreciated. Just for the record, here is the output of “iptables -L” on the internal server:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)                                                                                                                                                         target     prot opt source               destination                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)                                                                                                                                                       target     prot opt source               destination                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)                                                                                                                                                        target     prot opt source               destination

See? No firewall on the inside at all.

OK, I wanted to post the iptables output of the server, but it does it all in one huge line instead of formatted text. I can’t upload a zipped text file because I am a new user.

Hello @cuphi - Welcome to the IPFire Community!

You have the right idea above - adding the three backticks before & after the log.

Are you cutting from the console/terminal and then pasting directly into the IPFire Community?
That should work without it being one long line.

You can also take a screenshot and drag & drop that into your post.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: If you are a Windows user and cutting to Notepad that may cause an issue with LF vs CR.

1 Like

I was trying to C/P directly from PowerShell. Maybe I can use a VM with a terminal window to get it all in. It’s huge though. 15KB of text for the output of iptables -L from the IPFire server. Might not fit in a post.

Hi,

please try it anyway. :slight_smile: It’s hard to help if there is only sketchy information available to us…

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

I just waited a few months before coming back to IPFire and it’s all working great now. While I would have loved to share more information about the problem there just wasn’t an easy way to do it.

2 Likes