Pls. split newsletters in 2+ categories

Hi,
got a mail today (“IPFire Location: Lua Bindings for Fun and Profit”) that I’d rather consider SPAM (IKR, it’s not commercial) and wanted to unsubscribe.

I had to learn you sent it in the “important updates from the IPFire Project” list that is rather broad defined* so I can unsubscribe from all (incl. “security warnings”) or nothing.
IMO such an approach might be OK for some random software project, for a security oriented project it’s rather wrong, casts a bad light on the projects seriousness.

So please split your mail lists at least in 2 categories, please:
- security relevant stuff (maybe incl. security tipps / “best practices”)
- marketing (in the broader sense) for all the rest
and allow users to (un)subscribe from/to individual lists.

Thank you!

* “Important release announcements including notificiations about security updates
News from our blog and inside the project
Information about our fundraising efforts”

1 Like

We currently do not have a separate process to announce any security-related fixes. We only have our blog where we announce all sorts of activity in and around the project.

3 Likes

It’s always a nice time to consider features improving.

I am happy to receive patches for the web app.

@pike_it That’s a clever way to formulate, both parties can read it as "Cool, that dude supports my case :+1 " :wink:
In case you meant “I want to receive such random info” you can easily subscribe to 2 or even 10 mailing lists.

@ms Not even every systems engineer is a coder and not every coder is sufficient at scripting. So as convenient “Do it yourself” as an answer maybe it’s not a valid solution.

As mentioned in my 1st post it kinda depends on how security-focused ipfire actually is (and maybe if ipfire wants to target SMB businesses as well).
I for myself just unsubscribed.

There are only so many hours in a day… It is not that I am saying no to things, but I cannot code all the things people want myself.

2 Likes

The bold part it’s correct.
However you stated

source

I cannot code, simply because I’m aware that the level, quality, precision and attention needed for any slice of the project is required to be top
notch. But I’m not soldier, nor subject. Anyone of course can decide for self…

If the project is looking for some… time to improve marketing capabilities to attract cash or coding.