Playstation gets disconected when streaming games

someone at my location is running a playstation game console on the wifi at 192.168.2.31 and streaming games
when the game streams it uses between 10 and 16Mbps everything is going well until suddenly
the icon shows up in the top right and then the game gets disconnected.
here i have some logs from ips logs at the time:

Date:	02/25 02:03:52 	Name:	OS-WINDOWS Microsoft Windows IppRateLimitIcmp integer overflow exploit attempt

Priority: 2 Type: Attempted Denial of Service
IP info: 192.168.2.31:3 -> 104.142.147.2:3
References: none found SID: 20543

Date: 02/25 02:03:52 Name: OS-WINDOWS Microsoft Windows IppRateLimitIcmp integer overflow exploit attempt
Priority: 2 Type: Attempted Denial of Service
IP info: 192.168.2.31:3 -> 104.142.147.2:3
References: none found SID: 20543

and this other log

00:57:27 DROP_NEWNOTSYN blue0 TCP 192.168.2.31 60618 23.36.176.9443

my setup is a static IP provided by Shaw Business with the dns set to google’s dns,
connected to ipfire core 141 (updated from 139)
running on a HP Z400 workstation enhanced with a industrial intel dual gigabit lan card (red), an intel turbo memory booster x2 realtek gigabit lan cards, 16 GB of high speed ram
connected to a 5g TPlink wireless router

so does anybody know:
is it good that ipfire is blocking this?
whats happening?
can i somehow make it work again without a major compromise of my network security?

thanks all in advance

Maybe not in your case / application: so disable the related IPS rule. Otherwise you won’t get rid of it.

You posted your own answer: IppRateLimitIcmp integer overflow

ICMP integer overflow → too many ICMP attempts/requests → ipfire drops the connection because it thinks it’s a DoS attack.

its strange because i have sense changed the connection to the green wired interface and it went away. i get a lot of ips logs on the wireless interface i think mainly because of my google home mini. but i wonder if someone is getting into the wifi network and injecting code somehow?

Got yourself the answer:

Get it off and watch the change. :sweat_smile:

Get it off and watch the change

im afraid that wold not be practical
do you think it would make a difference if i connected a wired interface to it?

That was just meant to find the source of your ips triggers.

1 Like

it started working no problem when i put it on the wired interface averaging around 15 MBps
i have sense reinstalled ipfire after IPS shut down and all my ruels got unchecked, then a second time after my host name appeared as a giant garbled line with my ISP name in it, then i restored from backup , then the ipfire webui started timing out and now im having the same problem you “terry” are having with my connection being cut from game servers on my PC. the PlayStation still works fine though