Per Device DNS?

Hi, I was wanting to have specific devices that I will setup a static entry for having its own DNS separate to other devices on the network.

Is this possible and if it is how would I go about doing this please?

So what I mean by this, for every device on my network I would like 1.1.1.1 as my DNS except for 3 devices on my network I would want something different for its DNS eg 253.29.20.101 as my DNS for those 3 alone

Hi @anth , you just adjust the device you want to with the DNS if the device is a windows or a Linux system, mac i don’t know,and android you can’t, at least I don’t know how.

Best regards

Neopegasus

1 Like

Hi Anthony,
I assume you are using DHCP?

I found it is possible to manually create a customised lease for these hosts in /var/ipfire/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.local:

host foobar {
  option domain-name-servers 253.29.20.101;
  hardware ethernet AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF;
}

You can also assign a static IP by adding fixed-address 1.2.3.4; to the host entry.

Further reading:

https://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcpd.conf

4 Likes

I am bumping my old topic back up as I am thinking of giving IPfire another go but it is this issue concerning me still. Is there anyway you could make the device DNS options part of the GUI? I am not sure, or confident in anyway about editing conf files.

I am presuming I would need to use something like Putty to do this and its all just extreme complications that make using IPfire offputting.

What would be the chances of IPfire offering the ability to set per device DNS as part of the GUI?

Hi team, Anthony, guys.

I’m happy with NextDNS, plenty security options there. As well can set up DOT with ipfire (unfortunatly ipfire doesnt handle DOH at the moment. This is a sugestion for devs (please) DOT is secure as well but nowadays DOQ or DOH are even more secure.

Well, With DOT you can block all 53 ports in and out and it will work with a 800 something port beside all security options in the webGUI NextDNS interface. Really happy at the moment with it.

Anyone knows any troubles with Next DNS? Let me know please
G70P

But that is my point right there. i might want that for my PC and mobile phones. But I would not want that DNS for my Xbox Series X or PS5. Same goes I would not want it for my Nvidia Shield TV given I pretend through DNS that I live in Australia to get Optus Sport.

I would never want the same DNS on my Nvidia shield on my Xbox as pretending I live in Australia would be the worst thing I could do for my Xbox multiplayer gaming.

So I would need 3 DNS’s. One for PC’s/Mobiles
One for my Xbox/PS5
And one for my streamig box.

With PFsense and Opnsense all you do is inside the GUI you click on the device in the DHCP list and put it in and click save.

With IPfire it seems you need to open up putty, find a conf file. Mess around with it. Hope you don’t do anything wrong, find a way to save it. And again hope you don’t do anything wrong. And then keep repeating. Its stress that is not needed for a router.

It would be so much easier if IPfire just allowed you to put a DNS for each device on the GUI.

My only thought would be to block all DNS traffic.
Then add firewall rules for the different DNS servers per device groups.

A virtual Switch would make the difference here I suppose!?

Can’t you configure per device DNS manually for XBOX, PS5 and streaming box on their own settings? It was option for at least previous generation consoles. IPFire DHCP server would take care rest of system.

2 Likes