OpenVPN isn't working after the update "IPFire 2.29 - Core Update 183"

Hello,
I have a big problem. After updating to ‘IPFire 2.29 - Core Update 183,’ I receive the following error message when I connect to OpenVPN remotely with Android. I’m not sure how long I’ve been dealing with this issue. I just noticed it now and would like to know if it’s a bug in the latest version of IPFire. Everything was working fine last time.
Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
Thank you as always.

I think it sadly may be related to this.

Seems there is a bug

1 Like

I sincerely thank you for the report. I strongly suspected it was a bug. So I will wait for the next update and follow the reported post. Good continuation. :blush:

No it is not related to that bug. That bug only occurs if you are creating a new x509 root/host certificate set for the OpenVPN Server in CU183, ie a first install of OpenVPN or the wiping away of all existing client connection certificates and the existing x509 root/host certificate set.

The image shown is for a client and it does not like some of the options provided in the .ovpn. Those have been present for a long time.

There have been some other posts about openvpn clients of a certain newer version no longer liking the auth-token and/or the auth-token-user entries. Have a search through for them.

These are used for the OTP option if that has been selected.

If you are not using OTP then try remove\ing those auth-token* entries from your clients .ovpn file.

2 Likes

I’ll try it right away and update you…

Yes. These were the cause of the problem, I commented on them:
;auth-token-user USER
;auth-token TOTP
Thanks for the valuable suggestion!!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I apologize for having mislead you, glad you was able to figure it out.

But no, there is no reason to apologize: we had the same ideas. I had the problems after the upgrade. We couldn’t possibly think it was a client-side problem. :wink: :+1:

1 Like

I am pretty sure I somehow triggered this VPN bug, the last few days I have been reading up on how to finally create a VPN, so I am sure them “higher-ups” felt it was not a good time for me to do that… :pray: