OpenVPN client optimization / iptables / DNS filtering

Since an angry moderator just deleted my thread without notification I’ll keep it short.
I succeeded in using IPFire as a VPN client. How exactly? Moderator doesn’t want me to show the steps.

Could you please help me do some optimizations? For example I can’t find any logs on the IPFire web UI. How could I make OpenVPN produce some logs there? I don’t use the OpenVPN server feature. Only a custom client. Btw. how can I make the internet connection stop while VPN is down?

The other question

Many users probably know of GitHub - sfeakes/ipfire-scripts: Scripts for ipfire . It is used to block ads based on many filter lists. In other words a DNS filter. Inside /etc/sysconfig/firewall.local after the line ##add your 'start' rules here I added
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <GREEN subnet> -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE to tunnel my whole subnet. How can I change the iptables rules to first filter the ads and then use the OpenVPN client?

See this blog post that includes a section about VPN providers.

https://blog.ipfire.org/post/beyond-the-far-side-thoughts-on-secure-and-private-machines-behind-ipfire

Well yeah there are possibilities like Whonix. But Whonix uses Tor. I can’t use all protocols together with Tor. There are also a lot of restrictions to use Tor efficiently and then there are many bad exit nodes. How would people make sure to avoid bad exits?
Other method of doing proxy servers. I’ve got no idea about proxy. I’ve read it sometimes but still can’t understand it.

Anyway, let’s return to the topic please.

Hi,

I can’t use all protocols together with Tor.

this is certainly true. Just to have it mentioned: Many applications are not prepared for
having their traffic tunneled through a VPN, Tor or something else. Of course you can use
them in combination with a VPN, but it is a bad idea to do so, as they might be vulnerable
for certain attacks and/or reveal information useful to track down your identity.

If you are serious about privacy, a technology promising anonymity without little or any
impact on usability should sound suspicious.

There are also a lot of restrictions to use Tor efficiently […]

Performance (both bandwidth and latency) comes to mind, but apart from that, I do not see any…

[…] and then there are many bad exit nodes.

According to the Tor metrics portal, there are currently 17 known bad exit nodes;
the total number of exit nodes is 1,696. This is not too bad - but we do not know how many
other bad exit nodes are out there…

Either way: Why would a VPN provider be more trustworthy here?

I’ve got no idea about proxy. I’ve read it sometimes but still can’t understand it.

This might be a good read to start.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Which applications are not good to use with VPN exactly? Then using only ISP connection for them is a better idea? Then it’s 100% plain visible.
Also I don’t want to use all of my time to geek around with computers. I have to live, too. Of course, things like social networks are a no-go. Got no problem without that.

Privacy != anonymity. I won’t be able to be anonym. Just want to achieve as much privacy as possible. You wouldn’t want everyone to look inside your window, would you?

To use Tor you can only use Tor browser, can’t you? There are quite a lot of restrictions in order to disappear within masses: Don’t change the standard window size. Don’t install add-ons. Don’t login with your real personalities. And even with alias your behaviour stays the same. Does Tor hide my E-Mail activities or other application activities? Of course the E-Mail provider knows about activities, but what about other parties?

In the end you have to trust one or more parties. If you don’t trust anyone, then throw away your PC. Do I trust the ISP? Meh. Tor? Don’t know which nodes are really trustworthy.