Open port for BitTorrent

Hi all,
Sheesh, I really feel like a total dummy here now. I am trying to get BitTorrent to connect to download a Linux ISO and for the life of me I cannot get it to connect. The port is 59197 and I have the follwing rule set up:
Source: Any | port 59197
NAT enabled : Destination NAT (port forwarding)
Destination: [client-ip-address] | port 59197

I have created rules for both TCP and UDP.

However, it seems from the firewall logs that that port is still being dropped for some reason as I see a pile of DROP_INPUT for port 59197. So no luck whatsoever in connecting to get the ISO listed or to download. Where am I going wrong please?

EDIT: I updated this line: Destination: [client-ip-address] | port 59197

Have you defined a destination IP for this port forwarding rule?
Don’t forget to restart the firewall for the rule become active.

@bbitsch Apologies, yes I did define a destination IP for the rule, I tried to put it in brackets as client_IP_address but it seems to have been removed from my post somehow.
As regards restarting, no, I did not restart the whole firewall, as I have set up rules previously for other ports and just clicked “apply changes” and they worked. Is it really necessay to restart the whole firewall each time one adds a firewall rule?

Sorry, restart firewall was meant as apply changes. :frowning:

@bbitsch Ah Ok, then yes I did.

OK, update, I changed the port and now all is working as it should. Seems port 59197 is a port that is blacklisted by one of the IDS rules (no, I have NOT selected the emerging P2P rule)

Do you remember what IDS rule was blocking this port.

If that helps in future, one of the connection settings in BT clients is “use different port on each startup”

This settings isn’t really helpful for port forward rules.

Heve you specified the Source port also as 59197? If yes remove this, bittorent use a random source port.

1 Like

This should not the reason here because if suricata blocks it, the connection not reach the DROP_INPUT.

1 Like

Hi all, sincerest apologies, I did not update my post, I changed the port to 13118 and all is working now. Thank you to all that replied.