NUT server from ipfire appliance

Hi. I’m setting up my ipfire appliance, and I’ve got networking, interfaces, etc. all set up and running. Hooray! Now on to the more complicated stuff… I want my ipfire appliance to be the server for NUT, broadcasting on all interfaces (blue, green and orange). I have the NUT service installed and running, and from the ipfire console everything looks good. I have it set as mode=netserver, but when it hit it from my client (upsc cyberpower@192.168.10.1, (IP is the ipfire IP for green), I get connection failure: connection refused. Anyone have any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Here are some of my settings:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for replying. I’m not even that far…I can’t get other devices to receive the status from the ipfire NUT server. Can you?

I got it working. For future users who find this, I’ll be honest: I don’t know exactly what I did to make it work, so I’ll tell you everything I did.

You must access your ipfire via the console to make these changes. This also assumes you’ve already successfully configured your ipfire to a USB connected ups.

1. In ipfire, in the upsd.conf file, ensure you are listening on both the local loopback AND the gateway address with the port:
    LISTEN 127.0.0.1 3493
    LISTEN 192.168.10.1 3493 (my gateway for green is 10.1. I have not yet tried to see if I can access from blue or orange, or if I need to also add those gateways)
  2. In ipfire, in the upsd.users file, configure a user for the client device, where clientuser is the name of the user you want to configure, and clientpassword is the password you want to use:
    [clientuser]
    password = clientpassword
    upsmon secondary
  3. On your client, in the upsd.users file, configure the same user as in #2.
  4. On your client, in the upsd. conf file, ensure you are listening on the gateway IP address in #1.
    LISTEN 192.168.10.1 3493.
  5. Reboot your ipfire and then your client (restarting the services without a reboot fell into the too hard category for me…)
  6. To test config, on the client, run the following command, where ups is the name of your ups that you used in the ups.conf file (previously configured), and the IP address is the IP address you put in your LISTEN command in #1:
    upsc ups@192.168.10.1
    A successful test will return a whole load of gibberish about your ups. An unsuccessful test will be obvious.
3 Likes