No ethernet with red

Hi, there!

So, I’m a newbie to IPFire here. It’s an amazing software so far. But for any reason my LAN-network doesn’t have any ethernet possible. So, like … I can ping any ip with no problem but my ethernet port/windows setting say, “Yeah … Sorry, you don’t get internet connection.”. Why?

Check here first.

2 Likes

Do I gotta enter the red ip extra? Or what do you mean? @hvacguy

You need to enter some DNS servers here.
then check that they work with the button on the page.
should show working.
there is a link to a list of DNS on the link above.

1 Like

Ok, cool. Thx already ^^ @hvacguy

@hvacguy There is another problem I got: It’s saying ‘defect’:

And I also have following problem, too:

I think it’s because of the missing ethernet connection @hvacguy

What connection do you have with your ISP. Is it a DHCP, Static, PPPOE, VDSL or what type of connection?

1 Like

I’ve fixed it all so far that it’s able to recognize the network - as a network. But I need to fix that it has a connection to the WAN in general. The settings are static.

The Static connection mode is the most simple one.

Did you get the following three bits of information from your ISP?

• The IP address
  • The network mask
  • The gateway address

If those three bits of information are correct and have been entered when you configured thge Static connection then if the internet connection is not working then you need to discuss with your ISP.

See the following wiki page for where the three bits of information should go.

https://www.ipfire.org/docs/installation/red/static

1 Like

Yeah, I did. There I used ipconfig /all on my computer where I put the lan end in to find it out.

If you run

ping -c4 81.3.27.38

from the IPFire console what response do you get?

You should get something similar to

PING 81.3.27.38 (81.3.27.38) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 81.3.27.38: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=25.2 ms
64 bytes from 81.3.27.38: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=24.7 ms
64 bytes from 81.3.27.38: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=25.6 ms
64 bytes from 81.3.27.38: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=25.5 ms

— 81.3.27.38 ping statistics —
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.693/25.255/25.634/0.357 ms

indicating that you have a connection to the internet that works with an IP address.

1 Like

I guess I have found the actual problem since my ethernet port now recognizes the network. I can’t reach the gateway!

Then you need to discuss that with your ISP.

With a Static connection IPFire just communicates directly to the gateway and if it is not working then IPFire can not change that.

1 Like

This shouldn’t be the problem since I obviously - this entry is proof - can use the wireless lan.

I do not understand this.

If your WAN is not connected and you can not get any response via that ping command then the WLAN network also should not be able to connect as that would also have to connect to the WAN to get to the internet, unless you are connecting via a mobile phone and it is connecting via the mobile network, bypassing the WAN.

If you have no WAN connection but have a WLAN connection then you need to show a diagram of your network and what is connected to what as I am obviously misunderstanding something somewhere.

2 Likes

I don’t understand it neither. I actually used the regular office ips for the lans. It should work. Just the gateway don’t want to

Please provide a description of your installation!
Either in textual form or as picture. In this thread or your other.
Without, we are not able to help you really.

Did you read the basic manual ( our wiki )?

2 Likes

Yep, and I have a TP-Link for the WAN which grabs information from the DHCP … or should at least in theory. And my Green network has access to the regular build-in network card from the tower. Do you think it’s the TP-Link?

Don’t know.
I have a CBN cable modem/router which is connected to a i211AT NIC of my mini board.
All is working.

Irony off

1 Like