Modprobe: FATAL: Module cpufreq_powersave not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.232-ipfire

Dear all,
I just monitored the booting process on then console and have seen there two errors

modprobe: FATAL: Module cpufreq_powersave not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.232-ipfire
modprobe: FATAL: Module cpufreq_userspace not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.232-ipfire

Also O have seen that my fanless system is quit hot on the surface.
However I can see the cpu_freq diagrams in the gui.

What can I do to slow down the CPU in order to save energy.

Not sure if this is the best solution, but I have the following in file: /etc/sysconfig/rc.local

#Set the CPU frequency scaling governor for all cores to powersave
cpufreq-set -r -g powersave

Thanks’ I will try it out

Strange. cpufreq_powersave is compiled into the kernel. But a modprobe cpufreq_powersave should not complain about the missing module. (At my system it output no error)

But also keep in mind that some cpu’s doesn’t support some governor. e.g. intel-pstate based cpu’s will not work on on_demand. We set performance in this case because powersave will clock some cpu’s really slow (200MHz) and are often unuseable in this mode.

At my tests also the power consumption was unchanged or even higher because the powermanagement works better if you ran a task fast as possible and then go to sleep.

I just upgraded my cpu from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad. The two errors appeared during boot after the upgrade (see below). I then reinstalled IPFire thinking it needed an OS refresh with the new processor installed. After the install I’m still getting the errors. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

modprobe: FATAL: module cpufreq_powersave not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.232-ipfire

modprobe: FATAL: module cpufreq_userspace not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.232-ipfire

OK now. I did another reinstall of IPFire. Except this time instead of choosing ext4 filesystem, I chose ReiserFS. Now when I reboot that error is gone! I don’t really understand why. So at this time I’m sticking with the ReiserFS. I hope this helps someone else that may experience that error. Any comments are welcome.

Hi,

this strongly reminds of this thread. Not having observed this issue myself yet, I would not classify it as being critical, but it should not happen either way.

Unless you undergo an architecture change, reinstalling IPFire is generally not necessary when changing your CPU.

I am pretty sure this is not a filesystem-related issue at all. The error source must be somewhere else.

If you don’t mind, I will merge this thread together with the one mentioned above. That way, we can avoid duplicates.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi all,

this error apparently affects more than one user/system.

If someone has more details on this, particular how this is triggered, please file a bug for it so we can keep track of it. Please refer to this wiki article on further information on how to report bugs, if necessary.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like