Misleading PPP connection state makes pakfire to refuse connection

Hi,

I’m on PPP mobile connection.
From time to time (could be after night reconnect ) PPP connection state (System>Home) is shown as “Idle” while it’s not true as all clients and console are internet connected.
In such a case pakfire refuses to connect, I think based on “Idle” state.
Have to reconnect manually using profile to make it working again.

Hey Paul,

is there anything in the log files that indicates why the system would disconnect?

Connsched is set to reconnect at given time.

If the scenario works as described conn state should be IDLE at 6 pm again :slight_smile:

Made a test. It’s not “18:00 Reconnect” action setting state to “Idle”.
State is “Connected” after it.
Have no idea as for now but will look further.

Connection state after night reboot.
Client connected as counters are running but state shown is Idle.

The only difference in my config is that I call “connscheduler reconnect” from rc.local in case there is no ping outside. Could be it’s overlapping with original connectd startup. But … It will not start as I have to repair pppd folders first.

Anyway, booting for ppp connection is little complicated in my case.

1. Have to repair pppd folders (folders for pppd are broken in 183)
  2. Check ping connectivity
  3. Call usb_modeswitch to reprogram usb modem
  4. Call connscheduler to reconnect

Could be this sequence is losing connection state.

So it finally seems it was a double call to “connect”.
One from original booting sequence other from my script.
Solved it by waiting for 60 sec before calling my script.

But still you need a script to repair folders at least, as
pppd has broken (or rather missing) folders in CU 183!

Mobile modem connection restart after power failure - Networking - IPFire Community

The broken, or rather missing, folders are not related or caused by CU183. They are due to a bug in ppp-2.5.0 which was introduced in CU179.

So the problem has been in CU179 up to CU1`83 and will also be in CU184.

A bug fix has been applied by ppp but a new release has not yet been made. The ppp developers had said that ppp-2.5.1 would be issued soon, with the fix, back in Nov 2023 but since then nothing further has happened with a release.

I have now obtained a source code extraction from the ppp git repo from commit e1266c7. It is on my list of things to work on to submit a patch for this update with the aim to have it implemented in CU185.

When that is released for Testing it would be good if you could evaluate it in the Testing phase to see if the problem has in fact been solved. I am unable to test this as I do not have a ppp connection but a dhcp ethernet fibre connection.

No problem, I can test but … the appliance left alone for coming weeks.
I will test it for sure once I will be on site next time.