MIME octet-stream blocks windows updates

Hello,

I have been testing ipfire for quite some time now, but I have a problem that I cannot overcome.

When using the direct proxy, if application/octet-stream is added in MIME type filter then windows update finds new updates but fails to download them with error 0x80244018.

When I remove application/octet-stream from the block filter, windows update works ok.

Is there any way for windows update to work with application/octet-stream added in MIME type block list?

Hi,

Is there any way for windows update to work with application/octet-stream added in MIME type block list?

this MIME type is a rather generic one, indicating some (proprietary) binary streams. Some
people even set this as a Content-Type header for PDFs and similar common file types…

Besides whitelisting Windows update FQDNs from the MIME check (which is not supported through the
GUI at the moment, as far as I can remember), there is little one can do about this issue.

Sorry for not being able to provide you with a satisfying answer.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

First, thank you for the explanation.

Yes I understand, application/octet-stream is very common, but the majority of the files downloaded by malware/ trojan that I have encountered so far also come with this content type. So I prefer to block it as “rough”/additional security measure.

The only major downside so far by blocking it is that it breaks windows update.

All .cab files downloaded from windows update come as application/vnd.ms-cab-compressed . But .exe files used for Microsoft’s delta patching and .esd files downloaded on major windows updates come as application/octet-stream.

If you can point me to any documentation or give me any hints on whitelisting FQDNs from the MIME blocks it will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.