Message "iptables v1.8.5 (legacy): Invalid MAC address specified."

I did successfully upgrade from an ALIX-board (i586) to an APU2-board (x64) with options backup/restore (works great!). However, on boot I observe these messages on serial console:

Setting hostname to *xxx*.localdomain...                            [  OK  ]
Setting up firewall
iptables v1.8.5 (legacy): Invalid MAC address specified. 
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
iptables v1.8.5 (legacy): Invalid MAC address specified.
NIT: Entering runlevel: 3ables --help' for more information.

Are there somewhere references to the old mac adresses left over (where to search?) or can these iptables messages savely be ignored? Device runs fine so far and does its job.

PS: Every 15 minutes I also see this message from Addon wio in /var/log/messages:

wio: This RRD was created on another architecture

How to get rid of this? I followed all hints in https://wiki.ipfire.org/installation/arch-change.

Hi @dark0ipfire

Did you also follow this link https://wiki.ipfire.org/installation/hardware-change

2 Likes

Yes, I did and also read comments in collectd script why /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors is rebuild as an empty file. But I will double check /var/log/rrd tomorrow, maybe I have overseen that.

As you have changed your hardware then the mac address for your red connection to your ISP will also have changed. Could the message about the invalid mac address be related to that. Some ISP’s record a mac address and that is then permanent. If that is the case with your ISP then you can change your red mac address in the Network - Assign MAC Address to the one you used to have.
This is a bit of a guess on my part, having never seen that error message in my system.

2 Likes

I just updated successfully to Core Update 169 and watched booting on serial console. Still these strange messages occur:

Setting hostname to xxx.localdomain...                            [  OK  ]
Setting up firewall
iptables v1.8.8 (legacy): Invalid MAC address specified.

As I do not think it is related somehow to our ISP, where do I find corresponding logfiles to get an idea what’s going on… I do more suspect some ancient and obsolete setting somewhere.

Look through the /var/log/messages file. I believe they would be located there.

Do you have anything in the firewall.local file? If so, then please post the file.

Do you have any firewall rules at menu FirewallFirewall Rules? If so then please post a screen shot of that page.

Make sure you read through this Wiki page:

4 Likes

The start of this thread mentioned a change of hardware from an ALIX-board (i586) to an APU2-board (x64). Did you have some firewall rules set up with mac addresses that were changed with the change of hardware?

3 Likes

This message is from the firewall initscript when the firewall is started.
The script goes through and initialises all the iptables chains.

initialisation starts with line 50 in the following initscript
https://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=blob;f=src/initscripts/system/firewall;hb=a702353e262542fd5becc930e42b2a47caca2a00

One or more of thoses chain setups must have an incorrect mac address specified somewhere.

4 Likes

I was worried about this one:

(since it bit me also!)

3 Likes

/var/log/messages - Nothing relevant found.
/etc/sysconfig/firewall.local - Nothing added in there.
FirewallFirewall Rules? Nothing special, only port 443 of one server in GREEN

Yes, that is my guess, too. But how to find and correct them? Anyway, the box works fine and the wrong iptable statements do not disturb as they are discarded.

Hi,

firewall rules configured through the web interface are stored in CSV files in /var/ipfire/firewall/ on an IPFire installation. Given the screenshot you posted, these files should be rather brief, not containing any MAC address whatsoever.

Just to be sure: Could you check them for any dangling MAC address?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

4 Likes