Masquerading GREEN option

Hi all, Another newbie question, if I may. I would like some to explain to me EXACTLY what the Masquerading GREEN option is and does. Yes, I have read the wiki, however, it does not go into much detail about the workings of masquerading. I have a simple GREEN → RED setup, nothing else, so I am trying to determine if I need the Masquerading GREEN option on or off and what the benefits of either option are. Thank you.

IP Masquerading is where your pc for example contacts a website and the packet that is sent to the website is given the IP address of your red interface, ie usually a public routable IP.

From my understanding you would only want to disable the Masquerading on green if you had a green network that had publicly routable addresses.

Most users won’t have that, especially not home users and as the wiki says in that case leave the default masquerading settings in place.

If you have a public IP at your red interface but all the IP’s on your green, blue or orange networks are private IP’s then masquerading needs to be left on for all those zones.

1 Like