Lost connection to IPFire

First off, sorry…I can’t see how to post here other than as a reply to an existing post.

I have been using the IPfire Mini Appliance for about a year without any problems. But the other day, in the process of relocating the box, I lost connection to it. Unfortunately my unit came with no documentation and I have not been able to connect to it again. After hours of frustration (googling gives no results on configuration topics) I reset the unit. However I still cannot connect and nowhere have I found what the default IP address and ports are for initial configuration. I have tried the usual 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 but still no joy. Is there somewhere a manual, howto, or configuration step-list. I don’t remember having this problem out of the box - plugged it in and it just worked.

Also, there are no port labels. I assume that looking at the rear of the box, the Ethernet ports are by default RED, GREEN, BLUE, and ORANGE from left to right, since any other combo doesn’t seem to work My unit has an installed WIFI card which I was using on BLUE). Also there is no documentation on what the blinkenlights mean (other than the obvious power on). I need help on this or it goes into the fail bin. Thanks.

There’s a big “+ New Topic” button on the main page, and you’ll likely get better results if you start a new thread.

There is no default network configuration, you need to connect to the device via the serial port. The ports aren’t labeled, as you are free to assign them as you wish.

1 Like

Moved to new topic

Thanks for the tip on the New Topic button.

I didn’t have to use a serial connection when I first got the IPfire Mini Appliance. It already had an existing IP address to which I could (I think) SSH into the box. And like I said, there was no documentation provided. I purchased the device through the IPfire-linked website and it was delivered to the U.S. directly from Germany.

@ms - can you help with this?

@codermotor - As Tom mentioned you’ll probably need this Adapter

Any serial adapter should do, but the one from lightning wire is a very nice one. It’s simply the easiest way to work with this machine.

Tom

David - I ordered one of the Mini appliances a couple of weeks ago. A year ago, did you have them set it up for you? Was there a charge? How did you figure out which port was RED, etc?

@jJon
I think it was logic: only 4 ports, we read left to right, order of importance (red, green, blue, orange) plus I have been using IPfire for years in a VM so I had certain expectations. I truthfully don’t remember how I set it up initially and this is the first time I’ve had to redo it - when something works flawlessly for a long period, I tend to forget how it was installed and configured. Plus at 70, my memory is not what it used to be, lol.

BTW, I just found the Lightning Labs USB to Serial cable which I apparently ordered with the box, so while I don’t remember having to use it, obviously I’ll need it now since I have reset my box.

No, I did not pay for any factory setup.

1 Like

Update: I finally got my box back up. Took forever to connect to Cox!

Regards the port order: it’s random. Once you get into setup (via the serial cable and running “setup”), you can assign any of the 4 interfaces (R,G,B,O) to any of the Ethernet ports. It turns out that the default MAC addresses are assigned to the physical ports sequentially from left to right as viewed from the back of the box. IOW, the lowest MAC address is assigned to the left-most port and the highest to the right-most port. I decided to assign interfaces to the ports as RED GREEN BLUE ORANGE from left to right so that I will remember what I did the next time something goes FUBAR (that something likely to be me!).

1 Like

I keep a note, electronically and on paper, with the interface colour, nac address and IPFire interface IP address.

That way when I need to start from scratch I can very quickly go through the installation and setup.

1 Like

I use a Dymo labeler and add the last two digits of the MAC address

4 Likes